Upgrade or not - Deer Hunting Forums
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Upgrade or not

So, curious if I should sell the rifle I have now to put towards another rifle. I have owned my 300 win mag for quite a few years. It has a Bushnell 6-18x50mm scope and bipod attachment.. Wondering if I should sell and upgrade to something better? Usually hunting elk in these parts btw

Last edited by Syntheticmedic; 03-18-2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Misuse of words
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 AM
B&C 140 Class

The caliber is fine, do you like shooting it?

I was told by the Elk Outfitters I went with that the 300win Mag and 338win Mag were their favorites. But they always qualified it with a "if you can shoot it". From my experience if you have a Deer class caliber like a 30-06 and like shooting it you are set for Elk. If you don't like shooting your 300Win Mag I would sell it.

Karl
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:35 AM
B&C 140 Class

Another though on Elk rifles, weight, length,,,,,,

I know this sounds dumb but you will swear after an Elk hunt in the Rockies that you were always walking uphill. That is impossible of course but it won't change the fact that the thing you do the most is CARRY your rifle. Most magnums are long and heavy. They are not fun to carry and walk long distances with. The scope you have on your rifle is bulky and heavy. I personally would not want to carry a heavy long rifle with a large bulky scope on it.

Karl
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:06 AM
B&C 200 Class

nor would I want a bi-pod to carry either. The lighter the better for us oldies. There is nothing wrong with the 300 unless the recoil bothers the shooter. The above rig would to me seem suited for more flat open ground stationary shooting. To me, high quality bullets are more of a desire than a big heavy magnum cannon.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Scrub Buck

maybe I am missing it here, but , before you call anything an UPGRADE< the make and model of rifle will matter , as would caliber, pending what game you wish to hunt with it

way I see it, is you might just be better of keeping this rifle and IF so wanted, buy a second one, as your NOT going to get a lot for it selling it used, and even less trading it in

I owned a gun store for many yrs, sold thousands of rifles, own a LOT and and a lot of custom rifles as well
UPGRADE< is a word, and pending what your looking to do, what you have might already be fine
you can also, re-barrel the gun, or re chamber and barrel it,pending action, to build you WHAT exactly you want
having what you want is some times worth a little extra
but a custom gun is still just a gun/tool
doesn't always mean better

I have stock rifles that shoot every bit as good as some serious high end customs I have,
so, don't buy into the hype that this"X" caliber or rifle is the BEST or better
if what you have kills what you aim at, and don't mind carrying it, KEEP what you have, or save up and keep what you have and buy a second rifle
a spare rifle on a LONG distance hunt is a nice peace of mind feeling! LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode