2016 Gfdeputy2 Season 4 - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums
Live from the Stand Discuss here what you are seeing / doing on the hunt.

5Likes

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Knife is awesome worked great in the field & back at the house.
As far as the story goes: After passing up many deer so far this season my season has been shortened this year for personal reasons & not getting out as much as I like (yes I am healthy) I don't know how much hunting I will get to do the rest of this year
I was sitting on a field edge where I have been seeing deer just at sunset. Here in NH we can hunt 1/2 hour before sunrise -1/2hour after sunset so I decided I would make sure I was sitting on the field edge well before sunset got to that spot about an hour before sunset & the waiting game began just a few minutes before sun set 2 deer came out from my left 140 yards away they were slowly feeding my way but with time running out I knew they would not make it in range in time although I was hoping with 15 min left of legal shooting I ranged them again 80 yards out it was then I knew this wasn't going to happen & now was wondering how I was going to leave without spooking them. just happened to look to my left there was a doe I checked the time 10 minutes left I did not have time to range I drew back guessed 30 yards & let fly lighted nock looked good then disappeared I knew she was hit. I gave it 15 minutes it is now pretty dark & can see my lighted nock out about 50 -60 yards in the field. My arrow covered in blood I gave it another 10 minutes and let my buddies know I had one hit. One of my buddies came up 15 min drive & we searched the field & the deer trails behind me as this was the direction I last saw her go. We did not find a drop of blood anywhere so I decided to back out for the night.

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Part 2

Sat. Morning I searched the field & trails again. Not finding any blood & not wanting to contaminate the area I called my buddy Rob he is a licensed tracker For the state of NH Bella is his leashed tracking dog. I told him my situation and asked for his thoughts. Do I look further or just officially call him in. he is always looking for training for bella so he decided to come up the rest of the story is from his tracking log.
Bella and Rob went on a track this am for a doe shot yesterday evening. Arrow was coated with blood but zero blood on the ground, hunter looked around for a bit in a small area but when found nothing backed out to avoid contaminating the track
Rob and Bella arrived about 15 hours later and Bella worked to sort through the hit site area with the hunter scent and then tracked to a grassy area in a direction the hunter did not think the deer went. When she stopped to eat grass Rob took her back to the start again and they searched down deer trails in the direction the hunter thought the deer had gone and bella was air scenting but acted like the scent was light/wind blown
So they headed back up into the wind and Bella took them directly to the same grass area she had originally gone and was tracking confidently within seconds
Within yards there was a drop of blood then another and then suddenly there was spray all over the trees and grass indicating a lung hit, then she was on the dead doe.

If you have never had the chance to see a tracking dog work you are missing out these animals are amazing & I can not believe any state would not allow this
A Big Thank You To Rob, Bella, NH Blood Trackers for donating your time & the state of NH for allowing this amazing resource. she ended up being less than 30 yards or I shot a little high. It ended up being
High lung hit & exiting high back of lung all blood pooled internally til last few yards

Bottom Picture is the recording off of Bella's GPS collar. It was turned on at my truck & turned off at the deer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161007_194351[1].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	4.20 MB
ID:	7729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	14572443_1061815100602514_9212872690001233878_n.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	7737  

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 10-11-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode