Deer Hunting Forums banner

Hog hunting tips

21K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bigtee 
#1 ·
well now that we have an established population here in NH
I am getting serious about hunting pig's here (starting Christmas eve)
looking for some tips on hunting them
I know they have great noses & they like swampy areas & early morning & just before dark is the best time to hunt them but that is about it

#3 ·
thanks will do
All that bacon you have down there in the freezer got me hungry for some
must be the jet stream pusing the smell up north
we now have populations here of pig's must have been the escaped russian wild boar from a local hunting preserve & are now breeding outside
state say's we have small populations in 3 counties.
do you bait them or just track them down?

#4 ·
thanks will do
All that bacon you have down there in the freezer got me hungry for some
must be the jet stream pusing the smell up north
we now have populations here of pig's must have been the escaped russian wild boar from a local hunting preserve & are now breeding outside
state say's we have small populations in 3 counties.
y'all better get on them, or they will be everywhere. Limited to shotguns on hogs up there?

#5 ·
nope we can use rifles just trying to decide if the mini 30 (7.62X39 would) be better then the .270
we just lost all the snow we had am hoping we get just a couple inches of snow before then

#6 ·
Check the game regs in your state and see if they can be hunted at night. About half the pigs I have killed have been between dark and midnight.

A little corn under a feeder with a red light prjected on it will work nicely. You will need a scope with an illuminated reticle.

I put an ATN nightvision scope on my AR and shot one a few weeks back, didnt recover it. I think I may have gut shot it and never could find it.

#9 ·
The easiest method to find wild hogs in your area is to just look for rooted up ground. Generally speaking, they use wet mud to cool off (they don't have sweat glands), so they are always near a water source. If you can find a good water source and a food source, combined with some rooted up ground, odds are you're in hog heaven. To get the hogs to come out for hunting them, I would use corn mixed with molasses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.