Big "Blonde" boar - Deer Hunting Forums
Hog Hunting Discuss your Hog Hunting experiences here and learn how to take the next Hogzilla!

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Big "Blonde" boar

Where we hunt in Georgia the hogs are all free ranging and most are black or black & brown. There have been a couple big boars showing up the last 4-5 years that were both grey-ish and blondish in color and soon nicknamed the "Grey Ghost" and the "White Ghost". They were also both found in a single isolated location. Both these brutes were killed between last spring and this winter and both were said to be 400+ pounds by the owner of the camp.

When he was driving me out to my stand for night three of our hunt, Blaine mentioned three big boars that he'd seen on trail cam pics. Two were lighter colored and the third was the typical dark color. I took his info to heart as I set up in a very nice double tree stand overlooking the bait about 75 yards away.

First game into the food plot was a lone doe and she was followed as the sun began to set, by a group of six nice meat hogs looking to be 100-150 pounds. Three of the six were good looking boars and that group of six was soon joined by a sounder of around 8 little hogs, talking 20-30 pounds (also excellent table fare!) I enjoyed watching as the quiet feeding soon turned into a good bit of fighting over both the corn and peanut butter set out as bait.

It continued to get darker and darker and I decided to try my Wicked Light on the group of bigger ones to see how spooked they would be if I flipped it on later on to shoot. They gave me about 20 seconds or so to be able to pick one out and shoot before becoming nervous and moving away from the bait. There was also a dim green LED light hung at the bait to give at least a little view once it got pitch dark.

They didn't run into the thick woods when the moved off, but rather out farther in the food plot feeding on what little green remained. I watched them through a set of NV binos the guide gave me to use and soon saw a much bigger hog move out of the woods and into the field. All the other hogs gave this one a wide berth and even at 150 yards+ I could tell he was a boar, and a light colored one at that. He looked a good bit bigger than any other hog I'd seen thus far (about 18 at that time) and I decided to try and take him if he came a bit closer and offered a good shot.

After a bit more time, he turned and headed for the bait and I got my rifle ready. It's topped with a Leupold VX-R with Firedot Duplex which has an illuminated red dot at the center of the crosshair, ~ 2 MOA dot. As he got to the bait one little hog had not been paying attention and Mr Big walked over, hooked him with his snout and tossed him 15-20' through the air. Squealing all the way, that little hog beat feet into the thicket close by. Now the big boar was feeding and all alone and close enough to the hanging light at the bait that I could see him plainly. I lined up the crosshairs and firedot and let him have it high on the onside shoulder.

He went right down but was chomping his cutters, kicking and squealing for a short bit. Then quiet. He was big, bigger than I figured and when we caped him out the next day we found that the XP3 bullet, 200gr out of a .325 WSM going 2950 FPS had not fully penetrated that big boar and the bullet was stuck in the offside shield. Took me about 10 mins with knife & pliers to get it free. Picture perfect mushroom, but no full penetration @ 75 yards! I believe the lack of an exit shows just how tough a big boar's shield can be.

BTW, on the box it said this bullet is rated for deer, elk and brown bear. It is very similar to a Barnes TTSX, but has some lead in the rear "partition" that adds weight and also a secondary mushroom, behind the first (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Boar Bullet 2015.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	5937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0217151035.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	5945  

Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM
B&C 200 Class

holy cow that's a big hog
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 05:47 AM

I agree,,,, that's a monster..

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Thanks. Link to the place we hunt with pictures of most of the biggest hogs taken there. (click to link on the left for pics of hogs)

Guided Wild Hog Hunting in Georgia Provided by Woods N Water Inc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode