Shopping - Deer Hunting Forums
Crossbows Discuss all crossbow topics here

1Likes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

Shopping

Made a visit to Cabelas last week to look at some of the new models. Crossbows keep getting smaller but faster. One thing I noticed was many of the new stocks are very short and not comfortable to hold and get on target, let alone shoot. Several models have bulky hand guards built into them. Also, some of the mid-price models have scopes that have yardage marks but no numerical readout, you have to remember, in the moment, what line to use. I prefer the scopes that have the yardage readouts, next to the appropriate line, probably a senior thing! There is about 300.00 difference between Excalibur models 385 and 405. The Excalibur line still fits me the best, may not be the most quiet, but has far less things to go wrong with the recurve limbs. One thing I won't opt for is the crank up stringer, way to slow and bulky to use. Just some random thoughts before I break the budget.
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM

I liked the Carbon Express I just sold. That came with 2 different butt pad lengths just wish I could have used it here & in NY. Someday I will get one again when I can use one

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:40 AM
B&C 120 Class

As far as the Excalibur being noisier I doubt that it is any worse than the compound models HM. Mine is a Parker Bushwacker and when you hit the trigger you'd swear the woods were coming down around you. This unit I have is what I would call an entry to mid level bow but for the money I spent it was the nicest of the bunch in that price range. It is dead nuts accurate but a little on the slow side(rated at 285 fps with a 400 grain arrow). Even at that I've yet to have a deer "jump the sound". I put a set of Limbsavers on the limbs but I don't think they helped the noise problem too much. The next thing would be string stoppers but I cheaped out for now 'til I find someone who actually has them to see if they are worth buying. I think you are probably doing right by sticking with Excalibur, the unit you are replacing has done you well. The only consideration I can think of is the cocking weight. I believe that newer model you are leaning towards is 290 lbs. draw weight, sounds like a lot compared to 150 or 160 lbs. of the average compound unit. Next time you go kicking tires I would ask the sales associate if you could at least cock it and fire one arrow. Would be a bummer to spend that kind of dough only to find out that you are in an all out wrestling match every time you want to use it. Especially with your neck and shoulder issues, just saying buddy. As far as the scope issue I've not seen one made in short yardage increments with the lines labeled, but I'm sure someone makes one or you already have one on your present bow. Amazing the older I'm gettin' the more I'm finding out how much I don't know!!HAHA! As fast as that newer unit is that you are considering I would think that the first two lines would be all you need anyway out to at least 40 or 45 yds. My second line is fine at 35 yds(couple inches low) and I have only 285 fps(supposedly).
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

Tom, my current bow is 200 lbs cocking weight and I am able to get it done pretty easy, but I will shot whatever I purchase and make sure everything is to my liking. I am still waiting for the buyer of my bow to get back in the USA next month. Good thoughts thanks!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 AM
B&C 120 Class

Hm: How flat is the bow you have now? I mean like if you use the first line how far can you shoot before the arrow starts falling off? And at what distance do you have to switch to your second line? And how about the Carbon Express you had Dep? What was the listed speed and how flat was it with your first two lines?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

I can use first line out to 25 yds then go to second line to 35 yds, 40 would be my limit. My bow will shoot 325 fps if set up like they test them.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 07:14 PM
B&C 120 Class

Sounds like you are pretty much at 40 yds where I am at 35 yds. The new one you are looking at is I believe 400 or 405 fps?? Geez, I would bet that you would for most situations only need the first line!! I bet the first line would be only a very few inches low out to 45 yds. I would set the first line with that kind of speed at 25 yds then see where it hits at 20 yds then proceed to 30, 35, 40 etc. Just thinkin'.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

I agree, one line out to even 35 yds makes things pretty simple. One just has to remember to under hold at 15- 20 yds.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

Went out and shot the Excalibur 380 today. Even with the string suppression system they are still pretty loud. The trigger has less travel than my Vortex and seemed a bit lighter. The Excalibur x-bows just fit me like a glove over the rest of the models. I was able to cock it pretty easy and didn't seem that much different than my current one. Probably will go with the 380!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 AM
B&C 120 Class

I was looking at Excalibur's website HM and that 380 is a really nice unit. I wouldn't even consider the 405. If you were looking at a bow that was 250 fps and for a few bucks more you could go to 275 fps then by all means it would be wise to pick up the extra 25 fps. But when you are at 380 fps what would be the point of 25 fps more? Nothing except harder to cock as far as I can see. What was really interesting was that Tact Zone scope they offer. According to the description the lines are independently adjustable. Talk about a cool feature being able to set your lines to your own preferred intervals! Boy no matter how much you want to spend they've got the stuff for you to spend it on. Way out of my price range, I guess I'll just be stuck with my old Parker.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode