Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (https://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/crossbows/)
-   -   What Broadhead do you use?? (https://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/crossbows/12682-what-broadhead-do-you-use.html)

BruceBruce1959 08-08-2013 08:14 AM

gfd, you've been very lucky using mechanicals, but about every other person I know that's tried Mechanicals's have all complained about them, not just rage but many of the others too, I used mechanicals many years ago and I really can't recall the brand I used but I too couldn't get to where I felt confident using them I pretty much ruined 2 good archery seasons because of broadhead issues, maybe after all these years there's been some changes to design or quality control but for me the bottom line is this, mechanicals have a much greater risk of failing compared to fixed broadheads, so from now on I'm always going to play it safe and stick with Fixed blade broadheads and fixed is all I'll ever recommend.

gfdeputy2 08-08-2013 08:52 AM

I will agree that there is a better chance of failure with a mechanical that goes with anything that has moving parts. I think they have come a very long way in quality & engineering.
You just put all mechanicals as Failing way to often & that is purely not true

spiker 08-08-2013 12:25 PM

Well since I already hijacked the thread I may as well continue.For ole timers like Bruce & Hm (with all due respect) the designs of early mechanicals were horrible with a failure rate of about 50%.Now of course with technology the advancements are many and they are a viable option.With that said I believe if can get your bow to tune with a fixed blade it is the best option.I like a good sturdy one piece fixed head no chance for failure.IMHO

Hunting Man 08-08-2013 01:38 PM

What old guys? I just know from experience not to shoot the Rage 3-blades. I'm sure there are great mechanical broadheads out there and when they work they make huge holes.

BruceBruce1959 08-08-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 (Post 90434)
I will agree that there is a better chance of failure with a mechanical that goes with anything that has moving parts.
I think they have come a very long way in quality & engineering.
You just put all mechanicals as Failing way to often & that is purely not true

your comment, which I underlined, is exactly what we must emphasize when someone wants advice on which Broadheads we would recommend,
It doesn't do the hunter any good if we don't explain their options then let them decicde which Broadhead they would prefer to use.
Now I Agree, technology has come a long way and some folks are having good luck with mechanicals,
but here's another example from a 2012 mechanical broadhead failure Video which shows even with the best technology and highest quality control standards, "mechanical faIlures" still occur.
I'm not bashing mechanicals, I'm really not, some folks are head over heels in love with them, I just happen to be a Pessimistic on mechanical broadheads...
(Pessimistic, Adj. pessimistic - expecting the worst possible outcome) lol

daddus1 08-08-2013 04:48 PM

The way it looks a lot of us need to go shoot a deer to relieve our pent up emotions. Comeon huntin season!!!! LOL
daddus
IMHO

Hellbilly 08-08-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddus1 (Post 90570)
The way it looks a lot of us need to go shoot a deer to relieve our pent up emotions. Comeon huntin season!!!! LOL
daddus
IMHO

you got that right. I really need to make something leak :biggrin:

gfdeputy2 08-09-2013 05:52 AM

Bruce No worries It was just the way it was written I don't believe all mechanicals fail often all is good
& Yeah I am ready to get in the woods tired of cutting grass, wood, banging nails & wearing out my 3D target

delbert 08-19-2013 08:00 PM

I shot the Rocket Hammerheads for years
Last year they were sold out when I needed them
I shot Q3s or something, I will take a rubber band any day over spider clips
I got a Bass pro mag yesterday have them on sale for 19.97
I bought 3 3 packs 3 blade 2" cut never lost a deer with them
Just saying

Mtns2hunt 07-01-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 (Post 90410)
Mechanicals fail too often, I use Muzzy's, they really are the best available !!!

Never had a spitfire fail - 51 deer and counting