Did anyone see this - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner View Post
I've seen the NBC show and done a good bit of research myself on the subject. The Rem M710 has nothing to do with the subject, by the way.
The Remington Model 710 isn't so innocent in failed safety systems and anyone who has one should check and make sure theirs is safe to use as well....
Even if you purchased your model 710 in 2010 or any other time,, you should still check because it may have been manufactured during the recall dates...

"Remington Arms Company, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of Model 710 bolt-action rifles as a result of its discovery, during routine test firing, that some Model 710 rifles manufactured between July and October 2002 may have been assembled with an improperly made "Safety Detent Spring." Although unlikely, there is a possibility that the manual safety arm mechanism in such a rifle could fail to fully return to the "safe" or "on" position."

Here's a link to the Remington's model 710 safety check. <-click to check

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-30-2011, 05:50 PM
B&C 100 Class

was the 770 a part of this
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
From the article mentioned in the previous post --

"Two major rules of gun safety were omitted from the story, and were broken in the incident:

1) Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction.
2) Never depend on the safety."

Enough said on the subject! (said enough in my previous post)
These are the first two rules practiced by all safe gun handlers. I do think, perhaps you've missed some of the point as to safety regarding a defective "safety". Suppose the shooter next to you at the local range is not so experienced and careful as you are. Suppose the shooter three over to your left is not. Are you willing to simply remain up on your soapbox and say that they should always keep their rifle pointed in the proper direction, even if you don't know them from Adam?

Would it matter to you if an AD occurred due to a defective safety and your Father, Brother, Mother, Sister, Brother, Daughter, (well, you get the idea) was shot because someone else failed to be as diligent as you are? There can be very wide reaching consequences to any AD that we should not simply say "keep the gun pointed in a proper direction" to and then feel fine about it.
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
The Remington Model 710 isn't so innocent in failed safety systems and anyone who has one should check and make sure theirs is safe to use as well....
Even if you purchased your model 710 in 2010 or any other time,, you should still check because it may have been manufactured during the recall dates...

"Remington Arms Company, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of Model 710 bolt-action rifles as a result of its discovery, during routine test firing, that some Model 710 rifles manufactured between July and October 2002 may have been assembled with an improperly made "Safety Detent Spring." Although unlikely, there is a possibility that the manual safety arm mechanism in such a rifle could fail to fully return to the "safe" or "on" position."

Here's a link to the Remington's model 710 safety check. <-click to check
Again, the M710 has absolutely nothing to do with the original subject, the M700 safety and it's related problems.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Again, the M710 has absolutely nothing to do with the original subject, the M700 safety and it's related problems.
Turner, the M700 is the model taking the brunt of Remingtons faulty safety features, However,,,, the Model 710 has also been recalled for safety related issues and anyone who owns a Remington model 710 should also check to see if their rifle is one of the ones being recalled.

AKA_Hunter2002, I'm not sure about the model 770 but if you have any concerns you should call Remington directly with any questions you may have regarding your model 770.

Corporate Headquarters
Remington Arms Company, Inc.
870 Remington Drive
P.O. Box 700
Madison, NC 27025-0700
TEL: 1-800-243-9700

Consumer Services / Parts & Service
TEL: 1-800-243-9700

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
These are the first two rules practiced by all safe gun handlers. I do think, perhaps you've missed some of the point as to safety regarding a defective "safety". Suppose the shooter next to you at the local range is not so experienced and careful as you are. Suppose the shooter three over to your left is not. Are you willing to simply remain up on your soapbox and say that they should always keep their rifle pointed in the proper direction, even if you don't know them from Adam?

Would it matter to you if an AD occurred due to a defective safety and your Father, Brother, Mother, Sister, Brother, Daughter, (well, you get the idea) was shot because someone else failed to be as diligent as you are? There can be very wide reaching consequences to any AD that we should not simply say "keep the gun pointed in a proper direction" to and then feel fine about it.
That's the best part of a forum like this, each of us is entitle to our opinion.

At this point in time, I think I'll stick with the last sentence of my last post.
Enough said. I said enough in my first post.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:44 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
That's the best part of a forum like this, each of us is entitle to our opinion.

At this point in time, I think I'll stick with the last sentence of my last post.
Enough said. I said enough in my first post.
Fair enough!
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Scrub Buck

It's highly unfortunate when these accidents and tragedies happen, such as the ones that led to the recalls and safety issues that have been named. And in no way am I saying that the manufacturers aren't at fault when something is faulty with a firearm that bears their name.

But we're talking about deadly weapons made by the hand of man. Mistakes, accidents, and tragedies are going to happen in this business. When we all took the safety course, the "Ten Commandments" of firearms safety weren't on the front page to be cute or clever. They're on the front page to remind us that the hand of man fails, and even when you think something's not possible, it's still very possible ... including the discharge of a weapon when the safety is on and your finger is no where near the trigger.

As I said, it's unfortunate and tragic, but it happens, and the company is not excused. Hopefully, we all learn from it, including manufacturers, and take precautions in our own ways to ensure this never happens.

That all being said, I'd have to agree with those who say that Remington is pretty good at owning up to their mistakes/flaws/malfunctions of their weapons and putting it on their websites for all to see. I'm a believer that any owner of a firearm owes it to himself and his family to check periodically for recalls/defects for the weapons he owns. God bless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode