bargains? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 07:31 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
With guns, as in most things in life, you pretty much get what you pay for.
Totally agree.

We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 11:59 AM
B&C 120 Class

If you have to save a little to get the gun you will love do it. I'm currently looking/ saving / waiting for a rifle that will be my rifle for years to come. Better to have one you love than to one that you like.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 04:47 PM
B&C 200 Class

It took me 10 years to fill my two dream rifles. Just today I won the pre-64 Win model 88 in 308 cal. My gun purchasing is now on hold till next year or longer, who knows. Like I said before, it's like collecting old cars, you just have to want a particular model/brand then save up and get it. I'm pretty pumped right now, I've wanted that Sav 99 in 250-300 cal and a Win 88 for a looooog time and it happened! I'll post a picture when I get back from PA around the 15th next month.
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
B&C 160 Class

congrats hm you did it now go shoot a nice buck.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 AM
B&C 200 Class

The two new/old ones will be resting as I will be archery hunting in PA. They won't be vault queens and will be hunted with at some point. I 'm not too hard on guns when hunting with them. I try to keep damage to a minimum.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 11:04 AM
B&C 140 Class

"They won't be vault queens and will be hunted with at some point."

I try to rotate the rifles I hunt with during any given season. With the variety of calibers I have, it may be several years before getting back to using the same rifles used during last season. All I can do in between is to take each of them out a couple times a year to ensure the elements aren't winning the constant battle to maintain them.

I do find it interesting to observe the effects that each of the different rifle/bullet combinations have when hunting. Of course, shot placement has a lot to do with that effect. Last year's shot placement must have been on target - the deer taking at most 3 or 4 steps before dropping. Other years, I've had to go chase a deer a good 75 to 100 yards before finding him/her -- only to find during field dressing that there was a bullet hole right through the center of the heart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode