hunting dog - Deer Hunting Forums
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
B&C 160 Class

hunting dog

what would be a good bread for an all around hunting? i dont have any exp training one so i would trade top dog for more easly traned. it would be used for phesent, duck, and maybe rabbit. i was thinking beegle, but wanted to know what you guys think.
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:11 AM
B&C 160 Class

as a kid my uncle always had german shorthair pointers they were great dogs.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
B&C 160 Class

looked up the german short haired pointer. looks like a great dog. but still lokking for options. dont want to settle for the first breed recomended. not saying that even if there are 100 recomended dogs i wont go this rought. just saying i want to know my options.
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM

beagle are great rabbit dogs but not sure about duck or pheasent actually I don't know if there are many breads out there to do it all usually labs for duck pointers for pheasent & beagles are probably the best for rabbits
don't know a lot about hunting w dog just what My Uncle had for different critters & what I see people using
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:20 PM

Yeah I dont know if there is an all around dog that can be trained to do all those different types of hunting.

The only one I know is a rabbit dog. And that would for sure be a beagle.

Pointers are one of the smartest dogs out there and they usually always are used as bird dogs only.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 PM
B&C 200 Class

Will hard to find a one dog fits all hunting. A lab will take care of everything but rabbits. A beagle will not take to water. A german shorthair won't do much on rabbits. Good luck! Raven and Gunnar said go lab!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
B&C 160 Class

rabbits are my lowest prioraty, and phesent is the hightest as far as game gose. ease of training is also verry high on the prioraty list, as well as good with kids. my kids are 6 and 7.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 AM
B&C 200 Class

Nothing better for family than labs, the most loving dogs I've ever owned. Really good duck/goose and upland game birds as long as flushing at close range is ok for you. There are some expensive labs that are bred with pointing instincts but costly. I've had 4 shepards, 4 labs, 2 shorthairs. Problem with all dogs is no garranty of having any brains. Sometimes you get lucky and a really smart one pops up. My black lab Raven is way too smart almost scary, Gunnar is not so brainy but makes up for it with love. A golden retriever is a really good looking dog but its hard to find a smart one. Puppies and kids go hand and hand. Good luck on your purchase.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Problem with all dogs is no garranty of having any brains.
Very true. Ever heard that sayin "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"? Well, you can't teach a stupid dog anything.

Labs are great dogs for the family and easy to teach, but no good for rabbits or pheasants. Great duck dogs tho.

Beagles will make a good family dog, but only good for rabbits. They'll run a deer too if your not careful. Not as easy to teach as a Lab.

Setters and pointers are good bird dogs. I never have had any of these but have hunted with a bunch.

I'd go with a lab, for a buddy

We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 AM
B&C 200 Class

Nowadays its common to use labs used for pheasants, excellent close range flushing dogs and they'll retrieve what you shoot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode