With the holidays coming up, what do you think of this gift idea? - Deer Hunting Forums
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Scorpion8
  • 1 Post By StuartHunts
  • 1 Post By Scorpion8
  • 1 Post By gfdeputy2
  • 1 Post By StuartHunts

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

With the holidays coming up, what do you think of this gift idea?

So I got the idea to vacuum seal venison with different seasonings and marinades. I'll be giving them out as gifts this year with the offer of Sous Vide dinner plans.

What I mean is I give them the vacuum sealed meat and tell them they can cook it themselves or they can redeem a "hang out and cook for me" night and I will take it and cook it Sous Vide for them and we will have an awesome meal.

What do you guys think? Good idea? bad idea?

Really I am just looking for an excuse to use my kitchen toys. I absolutely love my Vacuum Sealer and Sous Vide. I'm a bit overzealous when it comes to that stuff, so much so that my friends were telling me to shut up about it. Now, most of them have tried my cooking using Sous Vide and they no longer tell me to shut up. I even wrote a buyer's guide for it.

Hi everyone, I'm Stuart and I've got a problem.
Everyone: "Hi Stuart!"
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:22 AM
B&C 140 Class

I like the idea if it is handled among the "right" people. Too many anti's would be upset at that gift. Also, I'd change the note not to state"...cook for me" as that sounds like you're pressing yourself on people. If your intent is that you do the cooking for them, I'd state that in easier terms that you mean they can either cook it themselves, or redeem the offer and you'll come by and cook it for them.
BruceBruce1959 likes this.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
I like the idea if it is handled among the "right" people. Too many anti's would be upset at that gift. Also, I'd change the note not to state"...cook for me" as that sounds like you're pressing yourself on people. If your intent is that you do the cooking for them, I'd state that in easier terms that you mean they can either cook it themselves, or redeem the offer and you'll come by and cook it for them.
Oh, totally. I would never give that to my vegetarian friends. They'd get something else lol or the people who I know are against hunting. Which isn't many thankfully.

No worries as to how the note would be presented, I would write it more formally than the way I write on a forum. I'll probably write it in calligraphy if I can find the time, and at the very least design it up in Illustrator. I'll make it clear that if I don't hear from them regarding the gift that I will assume that they want to prepare it themselves or whatnot. They don't HAVE to hang out with me, though that would be nice :P
Scorpion8 likes this.
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:20 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartHunts View Post
They don't HAVE to hang out with me, though that would be nice :P
Why not have a pre-Holidays gathering, where you cook a sample of what you're presenting them, and then give them the gifts (after you see that they're jazzed about the food)? That way they can see how it turns out, see that you're not just trying to mooch a free invite over to their place, and you can also judge if someone isn't a fan of the meal, then they get Gift B (box of something else). Even in bush Alaska we have so many greenie's who'd turn their noses up at a caribou roast or moose chili. It is hard to judge some folks.
gfdeputy2 likes this.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 05:26 AM

I think it is a good Idea. We have a Christmas party at my house every year. If I had taken deer that year everyone who wants one gets a Venison care package to take home. Plus I smoke a Venison roast that night
BruceBruce1959 likes this.

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
Why not have a pre-Holidays gathering, where you cook a sample of what you're presenting them, and then give them the gifts (after you see that they're jazzed about the food)? That way they can see how it turns out, see that you're not just trying to mooch a free invite over to their place, and you can also judge if someone isn't a fan of the meal, then they get Gift B (box of something else). Even in bush Alaska we have so many greenie's who'd turn their noses up at a caribou roast or moose chili. It is hard to judge some folks.
I like this sneaky idea lol

Ever had anything prepared Sous Vide Scorpion?

gfdeputy2 I want to come to your place :P
gfdeputy2 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 08:17 AM

Well I will be doing it again this year

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:47 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartHunts View Post
Ever had anything prepared Sous Vide Scorpion?
No, I have not. My limited French tells me "sous" means "without" so if this is truly a Naked Chef thing (emphasis on the naked) then I'm all for it. Actually I confused sous with sans, but the joke is much better as written.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode