Deer Hunting Forums banner

Trespassing Frustrations

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Falcon 
#1 ·
I joined a club last year. 800 acres divided into 3 sections. 500 acres, 200 acres, and 100 acres. I hunted the 200 acre section mostly last year. No one else in the club hunted there but me. Had some nice deer on my trail cam but every thing I saw was after shooting hours. I discover that neighbors was sneaking on our land to hunt and kids riding atvs. I feel like this is why the deer are nocturnal. I when to the club last week to work and discover atv tracks. I cut trees down to block their path. Came back a week later and they cut themselves a new path. DNR & Sherrif Dept are no help unless I have proof. I was thinking about writing a letter and mailing it to the neighbors surrounding the club asking them to stay off the property. Is that a waste of my time? If not, how should I word it so as to not make matters worst? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't believe atv activity disrupts hunting all that much but I'm not hunting the area to actually see whats happening there, but the "land owner" is the one who should be dealing with all issues, it could be quite possible that the land owner has agreements with you and the atv owners and unless you have permission from the land owner you shouldn't be cutting any of the trees down to block the atv's.
So my advice is to have the land owner deal with it. Good Luck

#3 ·
What they are doing plain out stinks! I hate a trespasser, especially one that continues after being warned. Two suggestions; make sure property is posted stating violators will be prosecuted and secondly invest in a couple of trail cams that can be mounted secretly and allow you to capture "proof" by way of pictures to print out and show to the authorities.

If you can mount the camera in such a way as to get them and a NO TRESPASSING sign in the same pic, that oughtta do it. Good Luck!

#4 ·
That does sound frustrating, and I would feel just like you do. Bruce is right in saying that it should be handled by/through the landowner. Whatever you do, don't get yourself on the wrong side of the land owner or the law. Keep the BAD LIGHT on the BAD GUYS. Good luck.

#6 ·
This kept me from buying land 30 years ago

I buddy that I worked with wanted to go together to buy hunting land. We made an appointment with a realtor 3 hours north of where we live. After showing us the land, he was honest. He said it doesn't matter who owns this land local guys that don't have time to drive up north will hunt it. They figure their families have hunted it for over 100 years that alone gives them the right to use it no matter who owns it. I was glad that we didn't buy the land even though I would have liked to have it for our kids.

Karl

#8 ·
For years i had trouble with trespassers on one of my hunting properties. A hog hunting "ranch" owner claimed he had 10,000 acres leased for their hunters. In reality he leased no land. He turned his hunters loose to trespass.

Then a brand new four door Dodge diesel pickup belonging to trespassing hunters burned up while parked on the posted property adjacent to mine. Neighbor blamed the catalytic converter.

End of the trespass problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.