Parent help - Deer Hunting Forums
The Campfire Got something besides hunting on your mind? Discuss anything "off topic" around the campfire.

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

Parent help

I really want to go pigeon hunting soon. I shot my first squirrel a while ago, and it was extra memorable cuz I lost my (first) deer. I shot the deer, but we couldn't recover him. I cried right there in the field. I'm only 10, so hopefully thats not embarrassing. Anyways, back to the subject, I learned pigeon season is year round, same with coyote, and I've always wanted to go bird hunting.No, turkeys don't count, but they look fun too. My parents won't let me go pigeon hunting cuz there pigeons. There doves too! Doves have a good rep. Anyways, they say you cant eat them or do anything with them after shot. I looked online, and you can eat them. They look pretty good too.... It really ticks me off how my parents blow off a hunt every chance they get. We with a friend hunting up on his land.Ive heard all about "There your parents so respect them" baloni,and I get that, but I don't feel like they can blow it off like that for some stupid reason. I get bullied at
school because of my love of the outdoors. They'd take my camo hat and throw it in the toilet or something like that. When hunting i can forget about all the junk of school. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM
B&C 140 Class

First off welcome to the deer hunters club !

I personal love to see and hear about the younger youth taking up hunting and fishing. Congrats on not letting other kids discurage you for your enjoyment. Kids can be cruel.
Now for me I know nothing about hunting nor eating pigeon. That's not a game that's realy hunted here. But I can say to that I also strongly feel one should not kill an animal unless you intend on eating it with the exception of nusant predator animals such a coyote n fox and such.
As far as your parents, your right they are your parents and you should listen and respect them formost , but if you feel they keep blowing you off, ask them why. Do they feel its not safe, not eatable, they just don't have the time. Are they ok with you even hunting at this time? If its a hobbie they don't share but support maybe you can go to local shooting ranges and hang around n make some friends that your parents feel comfortable with taking you.
And as your lost deer. It happens to everyone at one point. All you can do is learn from it and try to improve your self and try to avoid with your best efort. And reminder your not shooting at an animal you are shooting at a small spot on that animal for a clean fast kill. Practice practice practice. I hope this give you a little help, maybe someone else will jump in and add or correct me.
Good luck young man !!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 PM
B&C 180 Class

I agree with on the fly... your parents are your parents, they deserve your respect. They may have feelings or thoughts that you don't know about regarding hunting. Respect that or it could be longer than you like before you get your way.
As far as the kids at school go... I can tell you one thing for fact... 99% of the time when kids are bullying other kids, it's because they feel insecure about their own lives. Now, does this fix the problem? NO. Make sure your administrators know, make sure your parents know, don't keep that stuff bottled up. If you have a teacher that you are close to or relate to, tell them. Just don't keep quiet. BUT keep in mind, bullying is a serious offense. It's a serious accusation to throw around. I would highly suggest getting your student handbook from your school district out and really researching bullying (there should be a section in there solely about this) and then determine if it's bullying or if it's just meanness or kids being jerks to you. There is a fine line between bullying and meanness... but it's definately a line. Good luck and welcome to the club!

James 1:2-8
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

Smile Thank you

Thank you guys SO MUCH. It feels awesome to have help like you guys give me. All I want to do is thank you so much for the reply
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 09:56 PM

x3 fellas....welcome to the club fielddude.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM
B&C 140 Class

Welcome and howdy. Of course you should respect your parents, but you can make a logical argument in favor of pigeon hunting that may sway them. First, collect a stack of receipes that show how to prepare and eat them, especially in ways that the family may enjoy be it Italian, rustic Pioneer, or whatever genre. Perhaps even find an old-world receipe from your ethnic homelands that show your ancestors ate pigeon too. I know my Polish ancestors did, because I looked it up! Make sure they know what a responsible hunter you are. Perhaps combine it with a hunt they do support such as rabbit.

There are all sorts of arguments in favor of pigeon control too. Dang birds can pick a crop clean quickly.

Make a good strong argument, research the pros and cons, and approach them slowly. Give it time.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 PM
B&C 200 Class

Hello and welcome. Keep working on your parents. Find another mentor that they would trust and allow you to shoot with them. I would suggest find someone to take you and shoot some skeet and work your way up to hunting. Remember that sometimes goals are tough to get to but always worth the effort. Don't dismay, convey!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode