Deer Hunting Forums banner

asking for trouble?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
I prefer spraying estrus on my boot bottoms as opposed to using a drag. problem is, or may be when I go to the ground blind. any insight to the potential problems that are imminent in that strategy?

Or is imitating a loco deer the only solution?( walking around in circles in the shooting lanes so the deer never follows the scent to the blind).

I guess I could crawl on my hands and knees to the blind, thus removing the potability of scent to the blind.

Thoughts.....

#2 ·
Predator- i've done this before, lots of times. just make sure you have a line of sight from where you walked up to the blind. Most times, depending on how far you walk to your blind, the scent will be faded. Especially if the grass is damp or dewy. I use 2 sheets of paper towels folded 3 times and then I cut a hole in the top corner of the sheets, then slip my rope through and spray that as my drag. you don't have to buy the actual drag lines or cloth. I make my own.

#3 ·
you could always buy some camo material and make yourself some slip on booties, (over your boots) when you get close to your blind just slip on the booties and head in. just a thought!

#4 ·
Problem I see is the scent will diminish as you walk, the scent will actually be strongest where you sprayed it on at. Go scent free, and hang a scent bomb close by.
If you do use a drag, go sparingly, deer can smell a 1,000 times better than you or me. Add more to the drag as you get near the stand or blind.

My best tactic is to dangle the scent bomb bottle from a string off my treestand. It covers any of my scent, no matter what way the wind blows. That way any deer that may be interested will follow the scent to me. I lower it down to 6-8 feet off the ground.

It worked great a few years, and I had a buck turn from 100 yards away and run directly to me. Drew back as he walked behind a tree and whack, VENISON.

Bucks almost always come in downwind. So try to watch downwind.

#5 ·
I usually wait until i get to the stand and then I tie on the drag line and walk a few directions letting the scent get all around. I usually pick two directions and then about 15-30 yds in front of my stand I'll spray some of the scent on a spot on the ground. On days when there's a nice breeze I'll spray the scent once or twice into the wind about every 30 min or so... then do some grunting and bleats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.