Any thoughts on early or late season doe harvesting? - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
B&C 180 Class

Any thoughts on early or late season doe harvesting?

What are everyone's thoughts? I have WAY too many does on my property. Last year, I will admit, I had buck fever and ended up not harvesting even one doe. Now, I'm paying for it. They are eating EVERYTHING. I'm hoping to harvest at least 5 does this year. There are 2 big momma's that I've been seeing on my trail cams.
What is your thoughts on waiting until late season (post rut) or early season (pre-rut). My natural thinking is that if you kill off alot of does early, your bucks won't have anything to chase around. But then again, there are always MANY more does out there than you think....
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM
B&C 120 Class

Both Bucks and Does have lots of venison on them. I haven't found any recipies for antler stew or grilled horn.

My strategy is to take any deer (including a doe) when a good shot oppurtunity presents itself. I prefer getting as close as I can no matter what firearm/bow I am carrying. As long as there is a doe around, a buck will be there at some point looking for her. With too many does, a buck will not have to look hard and therefore will not be moving too much to find one. Harvest a doe when you have a good shot and the time to properly take care of it after the shot.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 AM

There's nothing wrong with harvesting some of the Doe's, If you know you have a "LOT" of Doe's Why not harvest a few?
The only suggestion I would make is, "Be sure you're leaving a couple mature Doe's out there."
some Doe's don't reach maturity until they are between 1 and 2 years old & most are not able to reproduce until six months after they mature.
So as long as you keep that in mind you're not doing your hunting spot any harm by taking out a few doe's.
You mentioned taking 5, personally I wouldn't take any more than 2/3 from any hunting spot Even If I'm hunting public land and I hear of a few Does being harvested I'll refrain from taking one from that same area. I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make.
Good Luck to ya!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
ronn

there's a lot to what bb said. mature does keep the group together. if you shoot every mature doe the pod of does left could very well leave to find at old nanny to help keep them safe. this is realtivly new thinking out of texas where they see tons of deer so they are in front of the curve on alot of things deer.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 AM
B&C 120 Class

Interesting thought on mature does. I don't remember where I heard this but someone said that to "calm" the deer down in an area you need to shoot the mature does. They know the area better than most other deer therefore they are spookier and avoid "bad" areas more frequently. It makes sense that they are the ones that Hold the herd together.

Meat wise, i prefer the average size doe. Not too little yet not on the tougher side either.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Years ago it was suggested that killing a mature doe that had a yearling buck fawn with her would make that buck tend to stay in the area and not leave as would naturally happen. Reason given was that the "mother" of the buck would run the buck off preceeding fawning the following year. Who knows.

But still, I don't worry about killing a mature doe. I there are "lots of Deer" as you say, there are lots of them on surrounding properties. More will move in to take the available habitat. That is the situation we have here.... gobs of them things. I have noticed that movement preferences will sometimes change if the lead does are taken out of the "pod" as Ron called it.

We cannot continue to do the same things and expect different results
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
B&C 200 Class

Way too many does in a given area can lead to habitat destruction and nutritional deprivement for all leading to inferior antler growth and overall poor genetics. I would have no problems taking a few does. I also agree don't shoot too many of the mature does, for the above reasons given. As far as timing goes, if you shoot them in october prior to rut or late season there still will be no fawns born so timing really doesn't matter. just be sure to check for fawn bucks before pulling the trigger as they tend to look like 1.5 year old does.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

Depends on what kind of hunter you are. Mature bucks search out older does for breeding. Kill them and you will lessen your chances for a big boy. On the other hand old does make harvesting all of the other does more difficult with helping educate the rest of the herd. It comes down to what you are looking for as a hunter. Personally I would wait until late gun season , it won't matter then because all of the other hunters will have everything screwed up anyway. This way you have the best of both worlds.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
B&C 100 Class

i like doe hunting but i tend to shoot year olds or two year old the old doe help hold the buck in the area in the rut and they are smart they know how to get thur winter if i have a really old doe i will some time try to take her out of the breeding plan she did her job
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:46 AM

It's always been a belief that mature bucks only seek older doe's, studies have shown that Bucks chase all doe's and in the end
it isn't the Buck that decides when or where the act of breeding will take place, it is the Doe that decides when, where and with which buck,,,
but it doesn't stop there, bucks will continue to do their best to make sure all doe's are bred not just one or two.
some bucks have actually been found dead due to their exhaustive rutting activity called "Exertion Myopathy",,, literally running themselves to death..

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode