Any thoughts on early or late season doe harvesting? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
B&C 180 Class

that's always been my thought too, that if you shoot the mature does, the herd becomes less skiddish (missouri word). i hunt on a 200+ acre spot with woods all around me in just about every direction. that i know of, of the 5 neighbors, only 2 hunt their property. There are plenty of does to go around. But my logical thinking says that if you kill alot of does before the rut, the bucks will not be seeking those "dead" deer anymore. But on the other hand, i know that there is more than enough does out there.
A lady I work with hunts 40 acres of land and year and year she and her husband and daughters take 140+ inch deer. I ask her how she does it and she claims that their neighbors and them have a rule that you shoot at least one doe before you kill a buck. AND the buck has to be big enough to mount.... good practice, i think, if you can get your neighbors on board.
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 AM
B&C 200 Class

here is another fact: fawns from one doe can have different buck genetics from being bred by multiple bucks during estrus period. So even though the big 10pt is doing the initial breeding, little spike horn makes his romps and presto who's your daddy. Normally in a set of fawns one buck and one doe fawn is produced, something mother nature figured out.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:35 AM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

The point of my earlier post is based on personal experience of 20+ years of hard core mature buck hunting. The main point that I was leading to is early season doe harvest WILL affect later season hunting mature animals if for nothing else than the disturbance cause by shooting and recovery of the doe or multiple does. This is fact if you locate older mature doe groups and hunt in and around their bedding/feeding areas sooner or later the biggest bull in the woods will show his face. This is not based on here say but based on my harvesting mature trophy bucks every year in my heavy hunting pressured state. Now if that is not your goal then by all means go and get them but keep in mind your season will get dramatically more difficult in the later part of the season. Mature does want to be bred by the best suiter for sustaining of the species. I have nothing against hunters that just want to shoot deer for the table so it is up to you as the hunter to decide what your goals are. Keep in mind if you really have that many does this might be the season that all you want to do is harvest as many as you can for betterment of the overall herd. Only you will be able to judge and make that call. Enjoy your season whatever you decide.
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Just this, if its deer and within 50yds, its down.
venison is venison.

PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
It's always been a belief that mature bucks only seek older doe's, studies have shown that Bucks chase all doe's and in the end
it isn't the Buck that decides when or where the act of breeding will take place, it is the Doe that decides when, where and with which buck,,,
but it doesn't stop there, bucks will continue to do their best to make sure all doe's are bred not just one or two.
some bucks have actually been found dead due to their exhaustive rutting activity called "Exertion Myopathy",,, literally running themselves to death..

So you are saying because of excess exertion from mating the muscle of bucks becomes diseased? The reason i ask this is because myo- means muscle and -pathy means disease. Which equals diseased muscle together. I would say probably more like fatigue and starvation due to the urge of the rut?
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM
ronn

i think he's saying its the burning of muscle for energy which creates lactic acid which once it reaches a certain level, kills you. they run the fat off and keep running, burning muscle and die. a buck at the start of the rut will weigh WAY more than at the end of the rut.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
So you are saying because of excess exertion from mating the muscle of bucks becomes diseased? The reason i ask this is because myo- means muscle and -pathy means disease. Which equals diseased muscle together. I would say probably more like fatigue and starvation due to the urge of the rut?
No I'm not saying fatigue and starvation and YES I am saying the excess exertion from the rutting activity causes this disease known as "Exertional Myopathy". There is another link to this disease but I'm not able to find it right now but here is a Link from the Alaska DF&G.

I learned about Exertional Myopathy from Charlie Alsheimer who witnessed it happen during a program he filmed about the Rut..

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:11 PM
ronn

Unhappy I haven't seen anyth

I haven't seen anything eitehr. I'm not sure if there's a big overlap in CFS patients and Wii users, but that's why I started the blog in the first place!

Last edited by Abdullah; 04-19-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: fd2I0Y6z
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM
B&C 160 Class

i watched the show [email protected] deer hunting bruce is talking about a mature buck ran himself into the ground over the rut.it basically looked like he died of exhaustion,it looked liked heat stroke.the deer was running all over and panting uncontrollably.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM

If I'm not mistaken it happened at Charlie Alsheimers research facility, it was one of their biggest bucks.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode