how far??? - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

how far???

Hi, I'm new to the bow hunting scene. I've do a lot of turkey, bird, and small game but want to step it up a bit. now i have a peice of property (8 acre) which is wooded but recently houses have been put in all around my land. so my question is as follows. how far will a deer typically run after its been shot? lets say it was a good shot through the lungs or heart. and where would they usually lay down? i just dont want a deer to die in someones backyard. even though i have the right to retrieve...
thx in advance
nate
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
ronn

could be as much as a couple hundred yards. as little as 10. it really varies.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM
B&C 120 Class

I can generalize a response for you. I have heart shot deer and they ran less than 100 yards each time. In theory they still have air in there lungs and may run it out. Any double lung shot deer I have taken has dumped within 50 yards. Each are fatal but I would opt for the lung shot each time. In my experience they dump sooner and the vital target is bigger. I cannot speak for single lung shot deer. Hope this helps.
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:41 PM
wmi
B&C 140 Class

Single lung shot they can go a lllloooonnnggggg way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Like ronn said it varies.. In past experiece though they usually go down within 100 or less (easy). If your not confident after your shot just give the deer some time before you track it. That way you dont jump it up again to run some more. (prob into someones back yard) If I was hunting the center part of the 8 acres I would not be concerned that it would move to far into the subdivision part of the neighborhood.

Do you have alot of deer that uses those woods? I have heard of new neighborhoods having alot of problems of having their flower beds, gardens, etc torn up by deer. Hopefully you will receive no grief from neighbors in case your deer does end up in their yard. Just take it back in the woods before you field dress it.

Good luck with it. You never know those 8 acres could be housing a nice buck with a new subdivision around it.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 06:15 AM

I agree with all the replies above. Nobody can really determine how far a deer can go or will go after it's been shot.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

ok cool thx guys. and yes i was out turkey hunting and i saw 12 seperate deer in one morning!!!! they where everywhere, they even came within 10 yards checken me out, was cool. i saw a nice buck last year (atleast a 6pt) in the pipeline which runs through the property. they have also been scraping our christmass trees in the feild for the past few years. i can see the trails very easily and where they have been bedding in the pipeline. theres also some apple trees and a stream that runns through the property. i put up a stand and a blind a few weeks ago near these spots. im pretty confident in getting atleast 1 but maybe fill my 4 tags. haha. unfurtunitly i only have 2 weeks to hunt before i go to college, but i plan on hunting it hard during those 2 weeks.
thx for your help guys
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 04:15 PM

you found a great spot.the pipeline provides two sides of edge habitat,they love that stuff.i will bet you got some real big racks in there.keep it to yourself and ask all the neighbors if you can hunt or at least retrieve your deer.those subdivision lots produce trophy deer every year up in here in westchester NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode