Deer Hunting Forums banner

Never Hunted before

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  rickw8844 
#1 ·
i have no family or friends that are interested in hunting but i personally want to get into it. I would prefer to bow hunt. what is easier to hunt with a compound bow or cross bow? Thanks

#4 ·
Greetings from Vermont and Welcome to the site. First you should check your State laws to see if crossbows are legal to use in your area,
Crossbows are Illegal in many states. Good Luck

#5 ·
hello and welcome from Ohio. The debate continues across the states regarding the use of crossbows during regular archery season. Some states allow them some don't. You'll have to make a decision like Bruce said based upon state law and then personal choise. Try to find a hunting partner hopefully someone with hunting experience to help you out. Lots of good advice in posts here. I hope you enjoy the hunting world!

#6 ·
Welcome from Tennessee. Hunting Man is right about that debate; it all boils down to personal preference. They both have +/- and it will depend on what you want out of the experience. If your goal is meat on the table I think the cross bow would get you there quicker. When the state of Tennessee allowed cross bows during regular archery season a lot of the guys I hunt with including my brothers switched to CB. I personally enjoy using my compound bow and will continue to use it as long as I am physically able.

Whichever you choose be prepared to put in a lot of practice, be patient and don't expect to score any time soon. As a new comer there will be a lot to learn before you get proficient. Unless you are blessed with the luck some newbie’s get it will take some trial and error.

About not having anyone to hunt with; if you become a hunter you will find friends that hunt.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

#7 ·
welcome to the sit ,if ya lets us know more about yourself we maybe able to help you better

#8 ·
Welcome from Ohio. Back in the early 90's I tore up my shoulder playing softball. I used a cross bow for 4 years after that. The cross bow is much easier when it comes down to it. In fact, I switched back to a compound bow because I wanted more of challenge. The real difference is in drawing back the compound bow and practicing enough to be acurate with the compound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.