1st time hunting - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM

you can also shorten up your release,(most of them at least.) to help with the draw length but im with bruce ,that loop is too big
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 AM
B&C 120 Class

If you stalk on the ground stay in the darker spots of the forest as much as possible going from tree to tree. Match your camo to the surroundings if possible. Don't wear blue or yellow as deer can see those colors as is. Camo your face, wear camo gloves and hunt into the wind. Take 1-2 steps, stop listen look and repeat. Find a good spot with back cover and hold up. Half my archery kills have been taken stalking from the ground. One of the hardest things to do is fool a deer's 3 senses from the ground. They can easily smell you out of sight, circle downwind and you will never know it. I like pretend I am a Native Indian hunting food for my family from the 1800's...I feel this quirky role playing gives me an edge and slows me down to the necessary crawl to become the ultimate preditor.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
you can also shorten up your release,(most of them at least.) to help with the draw length but im with bruce ,that loop is too big
yup Joel is right, most releases will allow for adjustment but then the trigger ends up in an awkward position because after the adjusment the trigger ends up too far back and uncomfortable, the release adjustment works great for trigger location but in your case your loop is just way too long...

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I think the reason why my bow guy at the shop made it a little longer becs the 27" draw was a little short for me, i think he said i was a 28" or 29" draw atleast...hey guys i've been thinking really hard of getting another setup and i have my eye on a matthews i just have to decide, my question is are they really worth getting one??i will probably trade one of my rifles to afford it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
yup Joel is right, most releases will allow for adjustment but then the trigger ends up in an awkward position because after the adjusment the trigger ends up too far back and uncomfortable, the release adjustment works great for trigger location but in your case your loop is just way too long...
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM

while they are great bows there is no reason to abandon your rig right now.if the pro shop measured you then that would make some sense to me.you will need a new bow eventually but save up for it instead of selling your guns.you never get what you paid for them and you'll miss it once its gone.you can buy a good used bow for 1/2 price most of the time at the proshop
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Hi guys we were able to go hunting today and i had a lot of fun even though we did not have a chance to shoot any deer, we encountered a doe and saw some deer but they where on the other side of the mountain so we just watch trough our binoculars..we saw a bunch of foot prints of mule deer, white-tail deer,bear and probably cougar..It was a great day to experience the outdoors!!, I highly recommend it to all "newbies" like me to just go and try it..
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 AM
B&C 200 Class

Even though I'm a big Mathews fan, you might be better off for now seeing if you can change the draw length on your bow. This would be less cost for now. I would not keep a bow that doesn't fit correctly as you will always have to compromise shooting form and that's not good. E-bay is loaded with good newer used bows, just make sure you know your draw length and draw weight and look closely at the equipment offered. $300-400 should put you into a nice upper end used outfit.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
$300-400 should put you into a nice upper end used outfit.
for $ 300 - 400 bucks you can just go buy a brand New Reflex bow.
I think I'm the only one here that uses a Reflex Bow but that's only because I'm strict when it comes to quality, dependability and accuracy..
Now I know all the Mathews or pearson or Bowtech etc etc users are going to defend their bows, Which are all GREAT bows and that's fine but Chuck Adams is in the BowHunters Hall of Fame and a Reflex Bow is what blazed his way in.
I've seen guys spend almost $1,000.00 Dollars to buy a Bow, arrows & broadheads....

my point is this, You do NOT need to spend a ton of money to get a great Bow Even I was hesitant at first but now I am so glad I chose my Reflex Bow
my complete setup only cost me approx. $ 445.00

the following is a Quote from Chuck Adams

World's Best Known Bowhunter--CHUCK ADAMS--has this to say:
"Reflex* After ten years in the marketplace,
this name stands for solid dependability and
superior accuracy. During the past
decade, I have relied on Reflex to bring
me 92 record-book animals, three World
Records, and more fun than a bowhunter
could ever expect to have. When an
animal appears, I never worry about
shooting my bow. Like an old friend,
Reflex always comes through.
Reflex is even better for 2007. Brand new
designs, enhanced performance, and a
high-tech look. All this, plus the same
legendary Reflex quality hunters have
come to rely on. If you want more
animals and shooting peace of mind, it's
time to enter the exciting world of
Reflex!"

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM
B&C 200 Class

Bruce, I hear you, but as you said those of us using bows like Mathews, Hoyt, and Bowtech will most likely return to these class bows when we replace our current ones. The debate follows the one recently on scopes, buy what you feel comfortable with in your price range and be happy. Some people will buy a chevy cobalt others a corvette both will defend their purchases as the most value for their money. After many bows, Mathews is the one (I) like best. I'm sure Chuck gets paid mucho dollars to shoot a Reflex. Most bows will get the job done, however, do you want the cobalt or the vette? We get a choise and that's what really matters. Where can you get better debate than on this site?
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM
B&C 140 Class

Talking

I BOUGHT AN OLD DARTON VIPER SET UP FOR 150.00 7YRS AGO(USED)AT THAT AND ALLWAYS GOT MY DEER.I WAS NEW THEN AND BOUGHT IT CHEAP.AND IF I DIDN'T LIKE BOW HUNTING I WASN'T OUT OF ALOT OF MONEY.I ENDED UP LOVING IT AND KEPT HUNTING WITH IT.NO NEED TO UPGRADE FOR ME.IT DOES THE JOB JUST AS EFECTIVE AS A 600.00 BOW.BUT THATS MY OPINION.

GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode