Finally got a Bow....uh, now what?!? - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hunting Man
  • 1 Post By tator

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Finally got a Bow....uh, now what?!?

Always told myself I didn't need another hobby. But a guy posted up a nice compound bow at a give-away price, so.... I own a bow. Proline Force II. About 55lbs draw-weight. I basically want to fiddle around with it in the front or side yard, have some fun, develop a skill....

So, what do I need? The bow has a quiver attached for arrows, no sights, no loop for a trigger for the nock. Should I have it tuned-up by a bow shop? Any help?

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 06:29 PM
B&C 200 Class

Bow shop will be able to determine your correct draw length and size arrows correctly. Have them install a D-loop, this will add 1/2" of draw length. The bow should have some draw weight adjustment so have it set to your comfortable draw. Good set of sights and drop-a-way rest will provide you with the best accuracy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
B&C 140 Class

Aren't all arrows the same length? This is an older compound bow, so there aren't a lot of holes and slots for doo-dads and attachments.

NRA Life member
NAHC Life member
USN Retired
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:15 PM
B&C 200 Class

Arrows are draw length and weight specific. Bow shop will install the D-loop then using a measuring device have you draw it several times to determine your correct draw length then you can have them cut your new arrows and attach the nocks. It is important to find your anchor spot and be consistent each time you draw an arrow. If a bow is set up correctly to you, when you draw it back you will hit what we call the wall. This is simply the cam maxing out giving the feeling that the bow has been fully drawn. Archery is all about practice and form. Good sights and a good fall away rest improve accuracy the rest is up to the shooter to hold form through the release of the arrow. Have them set up a kisser button which you use to know you are at your anchor spot, bow shop will show you. A lot of archers like to have the string lightly touch their nose and have their kisser button hit the corner of their mouth. It's all about consistent form repeated every time. Keep us up-dated on your progress.
Haroldhunter likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:33 AM
B&C 180 Class

A bow shop (or even bass pro) will be able to cut your arrows based on your draw length. I recommend fiberglass arrows with 100 grain broadheads/field tips. I'm a fixed blade guy, but mechanical blades are the RAGE right now-- see what I did there? :)
You will fall in love with it. I started bow hunting about 15 yrs ago. I don't love it more than firearm hunting (and never will), but it's still fun. Can be very frustrating to find that perfect location to shoot a deer within 50yards.
Fall away rests are nice, but if you want something simple and cheap, you can get a whisker buscuit. I started out with one and they are nice- but you will have to replace them in time....
There are different kids of releases. I personally have a trigger release that buckles around my wrist. These can range from $15-$80+. You can find a good one for around $45, or you can find a knock-off or off brand on Ebay for $15.
when you buy new arrows, make sure you bend them a little to get them "loosened up". This is with fiberglass shafts.
Only other thing I can think of is to make sure you wax your strings regularly.

Good luck. Hope I helped you a little.
Haroldhunter likes this.

James 1:2-8
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Scrub Buck

Great information, thank Tator!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:26 PM
B&C 140 Class

Bow hunting is hard work...

I have a 40 year old compound, Bear Polar LTD. I got it while I was still on active duty and home on leave. The first thing I figured out was that bow hunting is work compared to gun hunting. I love to shoot at the rifle range creating empty brass out of loaded brass. Practicing with a bow becomes work in a short period of time. Then there is the reality that your range for a certain hit is now x yards. This number is laughable to a rifle shooter where even an old beat up rifle is a solid 50-75 yard open sighted Deer slayer. Another factor that always bugged me is the concept that even if you do everything right you still lose Deer sometimes bow hunting. My friends that are hardcore bow hunters say it is something that happens. The great thing about Deer hunting is the extra time it allows the Bow hunter out in the woods. For Deer with a rifle here in MN we get a TOTAL of nine days to hunt Deer. Just two weekends and the five days in the middle.

Karl
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 PM
B&C 200 Class

add muzzleloading to your archery and rifle/shotgun seasons and here in Ohio you start in early October and finish sometime around the end of January. Flintlock hunting is still my favorite but archery hunting comes in a close second.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Scrub Buck

You should go to a bow shop to get the correct draw length and arrow type. If you're lazy you can go online to proline or 60x to get measurements including cam size and lengths. I got elite energy 32 bowstrings there. You can even go to a place like gander mountain and they can cut your arrows to your draw length. good luck!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 04:54 AM

Scorpion if I am correct that is a "wheeled" bow
Let off will be minimal. This is just me but being an older bow I would at least have a Pro look at it to make sure it is in working condition & find out what it needs to function properly & safely also to make sure it is adjustable to your draw length before thinking of sights & other accessories. If only going to shoot it around the house & not hunt with it I would not put a lot of money into it. Use it to see if it is something you want to get into as bows have come a LOOONG way & you can pick up a nice fairly newer used bow for cheap money. this is just my opinion not saying that bow won't be good for hunting just that the newer bows are much more pleasant to shoot.

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in