Food Plot - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I would hate to do that. What do the deer feed on up in NY. Never been there and do not have a clue what the farms grow up there.
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 PM
ronn

are you asking about the UP or NH?
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM
B&C 200 Class

looked like the question was about NY
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
ronn

yeah thats what i thought but i got lost. so i thought he was asking you about the UP or me about NH. i don't know. ??????????? I'm just confused i guess
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 PM
B&C 200 Class

could be they make poor quality beer out there
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
What do the deer feed on up in NY. Never been there and do not have a clue what the farms grow up there.
In my area all we have are mostly corn, clover, strawberries, beans, soybeans, that the farmers all plant every year but not in the same spots. I think they do that for soil nutrition or something. And of course the White Oak acorn groves each Sep-Oct is when they start falling like crazy. So basically the deer have an ample food menu throughout the fall early winter.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

NH sorry a little typo
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:29 AM

OK so you don't want to know about NY deer I see how you are

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:28 AM
B&C 200 Class

I tried to say it was the beer but nobody would listen, now where did I put that Corona?
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:57 AM
ronn

Sorry Jakestir I must have missed this. NH is a lot like the U-P of Mich but with very low deer densities. Not much in the way of agriculture, a few small alfalfa fields but mainly hay if there is a field. Red oak up here where I am and a few whites down south. Beech nuts and acorns are there main stable when we have them. Browse form clear cuts are a big food source. NH is about 93000 square miles and they estimate the deer pop at 80000. There are some where around 11000 deer harvested on a good year by 60000 license holders. Thats for the state. The winters here can kill 25% of the deer pop if there isn't enough acorns and the winter is somewhat hard. Last year it was hard but the 2 before were mild so numbers were up but we had a bad winter so I'm sure they are down now. we are allowed three deer tags. one bow either sex, one bow buck only and one firearm mostly buck only. some areas have a day or two you can hang it on a doe. the very northern part of the state went to a 3 points one side rule. The rest of the state is 3" one side makes it a buck. I think the state should spend more time working with landowners to do things to help the deer pop and then do the 3 points one side all over the state cause one won't work without the other. the number of deer competing for the little food is a bad deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode