Bowhunting Safety Poll - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

View Poll Results: Do you use a Safety Harness while in your treeStand?
YES 5 45.45%
NO 4 36.36%
Sometimes 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

How about noise from the safety strap around the tree, especially loose bark trees? I'm going to get a harness this year and get used to wearing it. When I was young I wasn't afraid of much, these days I think a bit more before doing.
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM

HM, If you're having some problems with your balance being off because of the surgery
you might want to consider a ground blind for this season.
There's no rule saying you have to be in a tree-stand to be successful

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 PM
ronn

Exclamation You'll be fine. Just

You'll be fine. Just use common sense. The cell phone idea was a good one. Make sure peploe know exactly where you will be hunting, and how long. Show them on a map so they know precisely. Let them know when you should be home and pick an appropriate amount of time for them to come look for you if you are late. Say 4 to 8 hours. Bring a GPS, cell phone, fire starting method and tinder. A side arm and bear mace should be enough to ward off any unwanted male callers. Use your head and do not stray from the area where you told them you would be. Keep the wind in your face and have a good hunt!

Last edited by Kouji; 04-19-2014 at 11:13 AM. Reason: ei9JB4APGSy
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

Noise is something I can't stand and the harness will have to be very quiet. BB I just watched a TV show showing deer hunting from a ground blind. The deer would look at it but not panic. The PT told me yesterday that she thinks I have a 70% chance of bowhunting this fall, well she is wrong on that one. If I have to shoot 45 lbs I'll be out there and maybe from a ground blind if I have too.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
ronn

hahaha she was off by what about 30%? the one, harness, i use is very quite but there are some that have 3 or more metal buckles. I've never hunted from a ground blind but I've talked to guys that have had deer at 10 ft while they were sitting in one. visibility has got to be better in a tree though.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 PM

i have never noticed any noise from the strap.its vey snug against the tree.i use the rope and prussic hitch for going up the tree.i may be getting a ground blind for next season so i can sit with my nephew
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:54 AM
B&C 120 Class

The only noise I encounter is the initial placement of the strap around the tree. If you secure slow and methodical then the noise is minimized. Perhaps tooting on a grunt tube will mask the sound. Noise should be low concern as there is no substitute for safety.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
B&C 200 Class

I agree safety is no1, however, noise is of a "great" concern to me just like scent elimination. Just my fleese jacket rubbing on the bark as I lean foward to turn, makes a noise that I can hear and I'm sure the deer can pick up, they may not know where it came from but it puts them on alert. I may be extreem on this but... I was really concerned with safety straps and how they strap to the trees and any noise they may make as you turn around on stand. When I started this question I was hoping to get some info on good quiet safety restraints and how many use them, I did. Thanks everyone for your responces. HM
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
B&C 160 Class

I always wear a harness in any treestand. I use the four point harness that was supplied with the Summit stands. It is easy to put on and I never have an issue with noise. It actually helps when taking a shot in bow season, I set the tether just long enough where I stand on the end of the stand and feel it tighten up, so when I am working a shot it helps me know where I am on the stand.

The buckles can make noise if they hit the side of the stand or something. Many times I will put my harness on at the truck and were a coverall over it, end of problem.

About the ground blinds, my wife has had a doe actually stick her head in the window so I don't think they spook deer. that same morning she had a monster buck 40 yards away and was shaking so hard she couldn't hold the scope on the deer to take a shot. She's getting better though she actually pulled the trigger last year, didn't cut a hair on the deer, but at least she took the shot.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 PM
ronn

Red face Well it's clear when

Well it's clear when I go away this blog turns into a liberal divrel/drool fest. Please be sure to clean up.The weather's beautiful here in Palo Alto this afternoon, seventy something degrees with a nice breeze. Still raining up north? And hey, my daughter hasn't packed her computer yet so here I am. I know you really did miss me!I'm off to the coast and gone for good this time. Try not to delude yourselve too deeply, and remember you can always head over to Hotair.com for a little reality if you feel the need. Cheers! Rate this comment: 0 0

Last edited by Ronald; 04-18-2014 at 05:51 PM. Reason: IOzEcUsZQX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode