Couldn't Get to Full Draw?? - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

Couldn't Get to Full Draw??

Had my last bow hunt of the year yesterday evening. Great hunt, Temperatures in the high teens, ground covered in snow. I got to the field around 1 pm and drug a wagon with 250 pounds of feed out to the feeder to set up the rifle stand for my 10 and 14 year old to hunt next month. ( this will come into question in a bit) I got in my stand around 2:30 , ground blind, at around 4:15 I look back toward the feeder ( 175 yds away) and there is a HUGE Kansas Buck walking across that end of the field. He isn't even looking down my lane. I quickly grab a buck grunt tube that has been in my bag for years and never been used, I've never been confident to use it thinking it would scare the deer off. In this situation I thought that I wasn't getting a shot any way what could it hurt...

I blow a grunt and he stops.. this buck is responding to me, WOW. I grunt again he still is just standing still. I snort weeze loudly twice he snaps his head toward my lane and slowly turns his body and takes a step my way. He hangs up. I blow a longer roar and follow with a quick snort weeze and he heads down the lane with purpose. I get ready. he steps out 17 yds in front of me and I go to draw back. I can not pull my bow!!! I try three times with him standing still in front of me and cant get past the hump. I have shot this bow 1000's of times. Killed several deer with it. He snorts and turns and trots off back the way he came and walks off. Both the most exhilarating and frustrating hunt of my life. He is likely a two year old deer, 12 clean points 24" wide if hes an inch and tall. He will only get bigger and I hunt private property he will be around so ill get another shot. I cant figure out why I couldnt draw. When I got home sitting on my couch I drew the bow no problem. Did I over exert with the feed set up I mentioned earlier? Did the cold drain my strength? Did the cold affect my bow causing it to tighten up?

Is this a case of BUCK FEVER? i have killed many many deer and never had this happen. This was however the biggest deer I have ever had in my sights so to speak.
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 PM
B&C 200 Class

I'm thinking your muscles were tight enough/cold to hamper your drawing. I've encountered this many times hunting in Upper Michigan late season. No matter what I did I was too cold and tight to draw my bow. Years later I got smart and took the draw weight down 5 lbs before heading north and it helped. Just my thoughts.......
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 05:39 AM

"drug a wagon with 250 pounds of feed out to the feeder to set up the rifle stand for my 10 and 14 year old to hunt next month. this will come into question in a bit"
Nope if it is legal in your state I don't care
As far as the Bow I agree with HM. Most likely the cold but Possibly all three things you mentioned combined. I had a shoulder injury a few years ago & Had the same thing happened 6 times in one season warm & cold weather. shoulder would just lose strength when it felt like it. I could shoot 20 arrows no problem some days I could not draw once. I ended up trading my Hoyt for a Mathews Solocam & now it only bothers me on really cold days if I don't shoot a few arrows before I head out. when temps cool off the bag target goes to the basement so I can take a few shots before heading out

2017 Bow String Depot Prostaff http://www.bowstringdepot.com/
Remember when posting what may seem innocent to you may not to others,

text shows NO emotions so please,,, don't take it personal & automatically go on the defense.
Take it w/ a grain of salt, take it as a joke or just let it go.
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

Just decided to look at the video on my phone ( I attach it to my bow to film hunts). This is the best image I had of the deer that I could't draw back on. He is out at about 50 yds or so in this frame.

URGHHH!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3521b.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	5497  

Last edited by WhoDat; 11-19-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode