***crossbows*** - Deer Hunting Forums
Bow Hunting Discuss Bow Season topics

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
B&C 100 Class

***crossbows***

Hey can anyone tell me what I can shoot with a crossbow. my crossbow is about 150 to 180 pounds it says on the box it can take down goats deer pigs and prity much any big game animals in nz to out to about 60 to 70 yards would that be true or not i do not want to see my game ran away and suffer i got some wild goats on the farm that need to be shot ASAP so anyones help would be appreciated thanks.
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:16 AM

That should be correct. After all it's at least twice as strong as most bows. More states are allowing crossbows to be used as archery equip. for bow season, think TN being the latest. As far as range that would depend more on shooters capabilities. 60-70 yards seems a bit far without a lot of practice time. If accurate it should do exactly what it states on the box.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 AM
B&C 160 Class

Cross bows have their limitaions, Most people I know that shoot them stick to the same range shot that they would take with a more conventional bow. Anything outside of 40 yards is iffy at best. I can't imagine an arrow or bolt having enough energy to break bone at 70 yards.

Take that for what it is worth I don't own one.
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:51 PM
ronn

What these guys said.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Smile

I bet that new Barnett Predator AVI could crush at 70 yds.. 375 fps. I hear the kinetic energy is awesome. I agree with a lot of practice...but I think something like the Predator AVI might have enough guts to get that far reaching shot and get a good clean kill.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
B&C 200 Class

I would believe that with the new crossbows and scoped the yardage has been push out a bit farther. 50-60 yds probably would be good. You have quite a few compound shooters pushing 50-60 now. How about Chuck Adams for one. Practice is vital to shoot and kill cleanly at any yardage and the animals deserve nothing less. My old Horton Legend would shoot 40 yds with no problem it had a 4X scope on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Deer Hunting Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode