Deer Hunting Forums banner

***crossbows***

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Hey can anyone tell me what I can shoot with a crossbow. my crossbow is about 150 to 180 pounds it says on the box it can take down goats deer pigs and prity much any big game animals in nz to out to about 60 to 70 yards would that be true or not i do not want to see my game ran away and suffer i got some wild goats on the farm that need to be shot ASAP so anyones help would be appreciated thanks.

#2 ·
That should be correct. After all it's at least twice as strong as most bows. More states are allowing crossbows to be used as archery equip. for bow season, think TN being the latest. As far as range that would depend more on shooters capabilities. 60-70 yards seems a bit far without a lot of practice time. If accurate it should do exactly what it states on the box.

#3 ·
Cross bows have their limitaions, Most people I know that shoot them stick to the same range shot that they would take with a more conventional bow. Anything outside of 40 yards is iffy at best. I can't imagine an arrow or bolt having enough energy to break bone at 70 yards.

Take that for what it is worth I don't own one.

#6 ·
I would believe that with the new crossbows and scoped the yardage has been push out a bit farther. 50-60 yds probably would be good. You have quite a few compound shooters pushing 50-60 now. How about Chuck Adams for one. Practice is vital to shoot and kill cleanly at any yardage and the animals deserve nothing less. My old Horton Legend would shoot 40 yds with no problem it had a 4X scope on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.