Deer Hunting Forums banner

Opening Day tomorrow, August 1 !!!

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
Sitka Blacktails. Not the biggest deer, but very wily and crafty. It's bucks-only until September 15, and all year on the mainland. The islands get to hunt does after that date. Truthfully, I'm an eastern whitetail guy and haven't gotten a blacktail since I've moved to Alaska, but for two reasons: time, and I like to "hunt" -- the folks here like to "shoot". Most of them wait until winter sets in and the snows drive the deer to the beaches. That's just shooting to me, not hunting, and I've refused to follow that method. Where's the adventure?

Anyway, I have to work tomorrow but each weekend I'll be doing the "nice hike with a rifle" thingie..... :thumbup:

#2 ·
Things move quick up there. I'm a chess game hunter myself. I enjoy the hunt way more than the kill anymore. I like to disect the buck's travel pattern then set up for him. I have to do this with no pre-scouting, no trail cams, not hunting over bait, not hunting over food plots, and getting them into bow range. I do have an advantage of hunting the same area for a long time so that off sets some of the necessary pre-scouting needs. Rub lines and scrape lines are vital in the pre-rut/rut time period. Knowing those few four-way travel intersections in your area, will usually give you a good chance at a mature buck. Year after year we have one intersection that yields a buck or two. These areas are few and are best keep close to the vest to insure future success. I think a lot of mid-west hunting has these intersections but it takes a lot of time in the woods to find them. Anyway I did buy three luminocks to try. I didn't realize how bright they are even in broad daylight. Will be interesting to see them in action on a deer late evening or overcast morning! Rambling on so.....

#5 ·
you guys are killing me LOL I am so ready to get out hunting I should get a bear tag as bear season starts Sept 1 have to wit till Sept 15th for Deer

#7 ·
Wow some of you guys are lucky getting to hunt so early, I have to wait till October 5th for Vermont's archery season. :crybaby:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.