Deer Hunting Forums banner

Gun Jammed - Lost Deer

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  CooTZ 
#1 ·
I just returned from a hunt in Western NY. I had a 150# 6 pointer come in back of my stand chasing 4 does. I shot him but hit too far forward as he was quartering away. I believe I hit the front left scapula too far forward and it bounced out of the brisket area. I should have aimed further back to hit the vitals.He hobbled under my stand and then stood in front of my stand for 5 minutes. I could not get a 2nd shot because my .35 Remington Marlin 336 lever action jammed. This was a first. I tracked the deer (no blood) and put it up once about 200 yards down the hill. Got dark and had to leave. I went back the next day to track but never found it. I can only hope that the deer was harvested. I had many opportunities to take does but passed. Anyone that has lost a deer due to a rushed shot or mechanical failure know's how I am feeling...terrible.

#2 ·
WHAT, WESTERN NEW YORK, I'LL GO GET HIM! Nah just kidding, hey man don't feel bad it's all a human quality "we all make mistakes". I have yet to meet "the perfect hunter". It's happened to me before and him, him, him, him, him, and her too. You never know that same deer could've killed himself that same night chasing does right into the front end of a truck. At least you tried your darndest to track him down. Probably made a good snack for coyotes or mountain lion, but that's nature for you. Head up, remember the experience and see if there is something to learn from it, cuz if it dint kill ya itll only make ya stronger.

#3 ·
Well said timberghost. I know the feeling. Good effort on the tracking part of it. Thats a good gun and i cant beleive it jammed. It picked a fine time to jam on ya. It stinks how it usually works out like that. You can shoot it all day at the range and not have the first problem. But you put a deer in your sights and that will be the one time it messes up. Better luck next time.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
not trying to be a smart butt but are you sure it jammed ive heard countless cases where people swore the gun jammed they actually shot all the rounds out of it in a buckfever.did you put more than 1 round in it?how'd it jam didnt eject?stovepipe?wouldnt cycle?Like i said im not doubting you or starting trouble just curious:confused:

#5 ·
It was a definite jam. I was loaded 5+1 in the chamber. The jam occurred after the 1st shot. The bullet was lodged halfway on the ejector with the lever stuck open. I initially thought that when I ejected the first shell I did not completly cycle the lever to the wall however the gun jammed again when I was testing it in my workshop a few days later. I now think I need to disassemble and clean to fix.

#7 ·
just checking figured it was the case that stinks .murphy strikes again:crybaby:

#9 ·
ahh the arrogance of the newbie with a first kill:bag: just busting em pegasso

#10 ·
Your both killing me! I ain't done yet. I got a few more days of rifle season in NH. The area I plan to hunt is shotgun only/buck only so the odds are against me. Sometimes you get that feeling that today's the day. Friday AM is the day. Stay tuned for pics.

#11 ·
i bet the action on that shotgun works real purdy:yes:

#13 ·
i can see it now the whole table covered with hoppes patches cans of this sprays of that you furiously working the action back and forth muttering "better not jam":w00t::lol::lol::lol:

#14 ·
That's too bad, but it's happened to anyone who's hunted a while. Unfortunate that it happened to you with such a big buck! It's probably not much of a consolation, but it appears that YOU did all the right things, and that's all you should expect of yourself. Hang in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.