Deer Hunting Forums banner

Frost seeding,North East

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Mornin all, what do i need to know about frost seeding? I would like to accomplish this in the next week or so... good timing?

#3 ·
spiker, I did some reading last night and read you need to broadcast on level ground when it is almost bare... the freeze - thaw action drops the seed into the cravaces for seed to soil contact.

I need to sell my tractor and roto tiller, so to save time and $$$ i am going the frost seed route, as i hear it does quite well... timing is everything though.

I will be seeding a total of 2 acres here and there on my 25 acres, alfalfa, Ladino, and Red clover will be the seeds of choice this spring.

Good luck, and happy planting!

#4 ·
I don't do any seeding for summer growth.. I let the deer eat the corn/soybeans we have planted. Then I hunt the heck out of them in the early fall. I do, however, like to plant turnips in little 1/2 acre plots for the deer come august. That way they have something to look forward to when the first frost hits. My turnips didn't take well last year, (wet summer) my garden was pathetic... hopefully we'll have a better growing year this year.

#5 ·
The bulk of my 25 acres is hardwood. I have created 1/2 acre plots inside the woodlot where sun and moisture do get in.
Every spring I till and can't keep up with the new weed growth because it all comes up at once. So, this year I thought I would get a jump on weeds with a frost seed and see how that works, only $36.00 for the 2 acres I plan on seeding... won't break me.
I cannot grow turnips as my clay soil just holds so much moisture and they don't like to get their feet wet, been there done that... clover just takes off on my prop. My soil ph last year started at 5.5 I got it up around 6.0 with the help of some lime spreading.

I like the plots as they keep the doe grazing right in the area while fawns are close by... one pitfall is heavy browse noticed from lack of seedlings, I need to work on that and prune and fertilze 10 acres of apple trees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.