Deer Hunting Forums banner

Dirty CVA Action?

34K views 83 replies 9 participants last post by  deerless 
#1 · (Edited)

Does your Accura, Optima, Accura V2 or Wolf, look like the picture on the left?

I can't even tell you how many times i have opened my CVA Accura, Optima,Wolf and found t
he face of the frame covered with black primer soot. Not only is it ugly to look at, it can be a down right pain in the neck getting it off. At times it will come off with a simple cleaner like windex, hoppes, butches bore shine. At times, even those will not remove it! So we use a tiny ball of 0000 steel wool and end up taking not only the Primer Soot off, but the Nickle plating as well.

Well after playing around and trying to figure out an easy way to take care of this issue i finally found it. And the best part, All it takes is a proper fitting screw driver and some patience.

Tools you will need:

• Proper fitting screw driver
  • White Teflon tape
  • Feeler gauge with assorted thicknesses
First thing you will need to do is get your rifle up onto a rest if you have one available. I am using the Tipton Best Gun Vise which makes scoping, cleaning, modifying my rifles/Muzzleloaders a real charm. If you don't have something like this, you can use a card board box and cut out some slits for the rifles frame to fit into and hold it snug.

Once you have your rest all set up, go a head and remove the barrel from the stock and remount your frame to your vise.

Now that your rifle is snug in the vise, Go a head and get your screw driver set. When working on a muzzle loader or any gun in general, you NEED a good assortment of screw driver sizes.

"Left" Notice on your Factory CVA muzzle loader that the Firing pin bushing sits flush with the frame:

Visually inspect and find the Firing Pin
Bushing. This Bushing holds a TINY spring and of course the metal firing pin striker.

Use the proper fitting screw driver and Remove these parts and put them into a plastic ziplock bag to prevent you from losing them. Especially that spring!

See less See more
#39 ·
No HM, When they post as Guests or Unregistered users apparently they aren't aware there's a computer feature called an IP Address.
it's a really great addressing feature produced by each computer on the internet, it kind of works like a home mailing address for IP locators. :wallbash:

#42 ·
Well i may own a Kodiak shortly! Its a drop action like the Omega so we will see. Not sure if i want to drop the $$$ on it yet though.

My omega having blow back isnt unheard of boys.

TC has no standards LOL. Their bores run anywhere from .498 to .502 + Thats not what i call standard.

Triggers from 3lbs to 6lbs isnt standard either.

You guys are claiming i am stuck on cva yet YOU guys are the same way with TC! We all have our favorites, Mine just happens to be better is all.

#51 ·
Well i may own a Kodiak shortly! Its a drop action like the Omega so we will see. Not sure if i want to drop the $$$ on it yet though.

My omega having blow back isnt unheard of boys.

TC has no standards LOL. Their bores run anywhere from .498 to .502 + Thats not what i call standard.

Triggers from 3lbs to 6lbs isnt standard either.

You guys are claiming i am stuck on cva yet YOU guys are the same way with TC! We all have our favorites, Mine just happens to be better is all.
FYI .004 is less than the width of a human hair...and if you divide .oo4 by 2 you get .002 per side...I would say that is pretty damn good

#43 ·
Lets see FG.

My barrel is .501..just right for Thors
Has a 3lb trigger..no creep
Shoots sub MOA @100yds
Solid aluminum ramrod...How's the one in your CVA...Tubing you say?..grin
NO blowback.
Best BH 209 BP in the business
6 1/2lbs
Steel sling studs.....you broke how many plastic CVA studs?

Yeah my Omega is junk, but I think i'll keep it. :yes:

#46 ·
Not true, They make slick load sabots as well. But they do make these 2 bullets so of course they will tell you to use them LOL. Then again tc makes maxi balls yet they dont recommend them? Years ago i asked about conical loads and the lady told me to try powerbelts LOL.

#47 · (Edited by Moderator)
They recommend the maxi ball/hunter for their sidelocks. Which is what they were made for originally.

Want to hear something funny about TC. I've called them a few times, and always get the same guy. He's really helpful, and went out of his way to solve my problems. Every time I talked to him we talked about ammo. He kept telling me to use sabots in the Omega. As if it was scripted and he was reading it.

Today I called him just for laughs to tell him my gun was shooting sub MOA with conicals (Thor).

I said.."My gun shoots conicals just fine".

He said with along pause........"I know".

#56 ·
FG, browsing the internet, I know you have owned many ml rifles over the years so have I. My point with TC is I can say with out any question that a side by side comparison with anything out there massed produced, TC products were a notch above them. I know I push TC here and there is a quality reason behind my posts. Of all my ML's right now, if I had to give away all but one, it would be a TC rifle that's how much I trust/enjoy their quality. The Knight disk extreme is a pretty decent rifle as well as the Traditions even the CVA mountain rifle is ok, but TC built so much more into their products that sent them to the top. It wasn't bad that they were made in America either. It could be that today others have improved their quality to a point that compares to TC now but the old standard will always go back to TC and that's why we keep discussing them and comparing them to everything out there. There will always be a market for various products, let the buyer decide. Just look at TC first and save shopping time! :lol: I know , I know.

#59 · (Edited)
yeah FG, we all know you're a shooting expert, I'm sure you're an alloy expert too now. Hey how about the CVA Electra's? Wasn't that a real Genius idea? :lol:

WHAT THE HECK WAS CVA thinking about when coming up with those gems?

PS I've learned it's easier to ignore you than it is to listen to your babble about a muzzleloader manufacturer that makes a battey operated muzzleloader! LOL

#61 ·
FG....I would love to show you my Omega shooting sub MOA @100yds.

Keep in mind I just use a sandbag at the front. My eyes are so bad I have a special permit to use a scope during ML season, and i'm a shaky 68 years old.

Try that youngster.

I can do it, because of two reasons. I've been shooting for 60 years, and I have a TC. :yes:

#62 · (Edited)
So tell me does cva hold bore tolerance to less than 4 thousandths of an inch? I do not think so! By the way I have over twenty years of machine shop expierience and holding+/_ .002 is damn good! The only way to stay consistently better than that in a production enviroment is to grind and that is just to expensive to do on mass quanities of product. How old are you FG about 16 because that is certainly the way you come across to the people on this sight. You put some good posts up but simply do not give up on a subject that you obviously are beat on and in my eyes takes away any credibility you may have earned thru these posts... GROW UP and be a little humble sometimes it will go a lot farther than being so pig headed... in other words stop being a know it all

#63 ·
Yes, Bergara barrels has tighter clearance specs. No more than one thousands of an inch. They run .500 to .501" And no more or under. Ed Shilen helped Bergara out and so they are a very high quality barrel with standards.

Now now, when you start picking on someone because of their age or something personal along that line, its never a good thing. It just shows weakness IMO.

I did start this thread to help others and you guys came along to smear it. So in your words, Grow up.

As for being a know is all, i do have a good amount of knowledge in muzzle loading and certain brands.

#68 ·
Yes, Bergara barrels has tighter clearance specs. No more than one thousands of an inch. They run .500 to .501" And no more or under. Ed Shilen helped Bergara out and so they are a very high quality barrel with standards.

Now now, when you start picking on someone because of their age or something personal along that line, its never a good thing. It just shows weakness IMO.

I did start this thread to help others and you guys came along to smear it. So in your words, Grow up.

As for being a know is all, i do have a good amount of knowledge in muzzle loading and certain brands.
FG At no time did I smear you or the cva brand I only stated facts that I know nothing more. As far as growing up I am much older than you and am quite grown up. You however, are quite young and maybe should listen a little more and not be so insisitent about being right or even getting the last word in. That is what I mean about being a little humble sometimes... Also, you make a comment about being weak? Far from the truth my friend the weak are not succesful to the point that I am in my life. At this time I will no longer be frequenting your posts anymore they are to full of controversy and foolishness...

#64 ·
Some things dont change.. Even when you take a few days off..

FG still shouting CVA'S praises because they mail him free stuff to try out..

And all the old guys still standing by what they have used for years.. Because they still work for them..

When folks ask me now what a good ML is I just say "Anything other than a CVA will get the job done." I know a cva will get the job done too I just say that to counter all of FG's high praises!

#67 ·
BF, I think we can all see the damage FrontierGander is doing to cva brand muzzleloaders with all his "in your face" posts but I dont think he sees it that way.
If someones looking for a muzzleloader and doesnt know what to look for, I've always given them info on all muzzleloader brands and the option of choosing whichever one they want for themselves...
But now,,, and I hate to say it but,,, I think FrontierGander has slammed us all with so much negative info on cva's that even I will be hesitant to direct a new shooter/hunter to a cva brand.
We've all seen FG's posts on how he has to modify each muzzleloader he shoots to get it to shoot 1/2 way decent, sometimes even going as far as having to alter the manufacturers design which I think is totally absurd and puts himself and others in danger.
And now thanks to FG, I won't feel comfortable recommending a cva muzzleloader knowing it's going to be a shooter/hunters nightmare that requires a person to have a masters degree in weaponry but being the fair person that I am, I'm sure I'll still mention the cva brand, I'll just be sure to explain that a cva brand would be my last choice now.

FYI, FG, I don't know how you're affilliated with cva but for the sake of their company I hope they review and adjust you're marketing approach to their muzzleloaders. I think you're doing them more harm than good.

Good Day!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.