Deer Hunting Forums banner

First Deer! Spiked Buck!

14K views 52 replies 18 participants last post by  hunter93 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone. Just registered here. Well do I have a story for you!
I just went over to my uncle's this morning. Got out in the woods and on the backside of this pond levy bout half an hour before sunrise. Well I picked me out a spot and decided to sit down. Bad choice. Got my butt all wet and stuff. So then I decided to stand up. That was a little better.
Well while I was waiting for a monster buck that has been roaming around the area (16 point monster. big basket rack) I see these turkeys fly off of a nearby tree. "Cool," I think silently to myself. "At least I've seen some kind of animal besides a squirrel."
I'm bout ready to turn in and am starting to wonder if deer hunting is the thing for me. (It was my first time hunting deer).
All of a sudden, this buck comes in right off to my right. Not ten yards downwind. Scared the crap outa me. Well since there was a lota stuff down from the ice storm, I didn't have a really clear shot. It started to walk away, so I though, "Now or never." Decided to take a thirty yard shot even thought I've only had my first bow for two days shy of a month. Hit a tree since my window of opportunity was about the size of a softball. Spooked it so it started to run them came back.:confused:
OK? Well I decided to start walking toward it. Crazy? Ya. :sadbanana: Well long story short, a coyote came up twenty yards to my right while the deer was staring me down. We both watched it. That deer must've stared me down for an hour before I got a shot off at it.
Bad shot. Hit it in the front of the shoulder blade, ricocheted off of it and went straight through its lungs and put it down after it ran bout fifty yards off.
Had to hurry up on that last part there. Have to get off the computer.
If any one wants me to elaborate on any of this, just let me know, I'd be happy to. Thanks for reading about my little experience.

Nathan

See less See more
#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Guys,thaks for all the advice. Like I said, this was my first time deer hunting and it being so, I actually thought that that kind of shot wasn't so bad considering I was on the ground and exposed completely. I did seem to have what you all call "buck fever" and really wasn't thinking straight, but you gota give me some room to improve, I'm only 14 to answer some of the age questions. I'm 14 years old. Just turned it last month.

My judgement isn't the best when it comes to when I get excited over something. It was my first time deer hunting period. Not the first time seeing a buck or a deer. It was my first time hunting. I did't know what would be considered an ethical shot and I didn't have any scent blocker or anything like that so I thought that shot was the best I could get, so I thought it was "ethical."

Well needless to say, I was wrong about the very meaning of the word ethical in all honesty. I took the best shot I thought I could get because that's what I've been taught to do. Also needless to say, I've been taught wrong obviously. (Don't tell my parents I said that :wink:) I hate to play the blame game, but I don't think that all the blame should be on me here. My uncle gut shoots deer on purpose with a twelve guage slug out of season just to get them off of his property. I've been raised around stuff like that all my life, so I think that I deserve at least a little understanding here.

I now realize that that shot was a bad shot to take, thank all of you for the advice and explanation. Especially you hunt NH. I really appreciate you taking hold of the true meaning of where this thread was going.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but the last time I was on here, I only had four posts. I came on today and there were like twenty-four. I've been meaning to get on here, but my parents have been on 24/7.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm now a more ethical hunter thanks to all of you and your posts. All you guys that tried to defend me, thanks, but the ones that were "ragging on me" were kinda right. It was a bad shot that I shouldn't have taken at all and I won't the next time I'm out in the woods.

I really just don't like that this is how my first thread on her turned out. Now if I start any thread, everyone is gona think of the unethical fourteen-year-old that thinks he's the best archer in the world. Oh well. Well thanks again for everything.

More posts welcome.

#42 ·
Guys,thaks for all the advice. Like I said, this was my first time deer hunting and it being so, I actually thought that that kind of shot wasn't so bad considering I was on the ground and exposed completely. I did seem to have what you all call "buck fever" and really wasn't thinking straight, but you gota give me some room to improve, I'm only 14 to answer some of the age questions. I'm 14 years old. Just turned it last month.

My judgement isn't the best when it comes to when I get excited over something. It was my first time deer hunting period. Not the first time seeing a buck or a deer. It was my first time hunting. I did't know what would be considered an ethical shot and I didn't have any scent blocker or anything like that so I thought that shot was the best I could get, so I thought it was "ethical."

Well needless to say, I was wrong about the very meaning of the word ethical in all honesty. I took the best shot I thought I could get because that's what I've been taught to do. Also needless to say, I've been taught wrong obviously. (Don't tell my parents I said that :wink:) I hate to play the blame game, but I don't think that all the blame should be on me here. My uncle gut shoots deer on purpose with a twelve guage slug out of season just to get them off of his property. I've been raised around stuff like that all my life, so I think that I deserve at least a little understanding here.

I now realize that that shot was a bad shot to take, thank all of you for the advice and explanation. Especially you hunt NH. I really appreciate you taking hold of the true meaning of where this thread was going.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but the last time I was on here, I only had four posts. I came on today and there were like twenty-four. I've been meaning to get on here, but my parents have been on 24/7.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm now a more ethical hunter thanks to all of you and your posts. All you guys that tried to defend me, thanks, but the ones that were "ragging on me" were kinda right. It was a bad shot that I shouldn't have taken at all and I won't the next time I'm out in the woods.

I really just don't like that this is how my first thread on her turned out. Now if I start any thread, everyone is gona think of the unethical fourteen-year-old that thinks he's the best archer in the world. Oh well. Well thanks again for everything.
It looks like your first post sure caused quite a stir and this realization / revelation above sure is uhmm, …interesting, ... to say the least.

Also needless to say, I've been taught wrong obviously. (Don't tell my parents I said that :wink:) I hate to play the blame game, but I don't think that all the blame should be on me here. My uncle gut shoots deer on purpose with a twelve guage slug out of season just to get them off of his property. I've been raised around stuff like that all my life, so I think that I deserve at least a little understanding here. .
Amusing!
If Johnny jumped off the bridge then, ...

Fess up - You're not really 14 and much of your story is pure fiction right?

#29 · (Edited)
WB, You're last post is a great one! :pickle:Thats all we're were saying. I'm glad at 14 you got your first deer and you're grown up enough to see what we saw in your post. I hope your success continues in the future. I'm glad you could see through the well wishers and those of us who do our best to help, teach, and steer hunters to the ethical aspects of hunting.:yes:

#30 ·
Hunt NH, good post, I think you're the one that got through. I think the young hunter is on his own and will learn quickly. Buckshot's post was really inappropriate, but I'm not that thin skinned to delete it, as it's our job to moderate this site which includes teaching ethics whenever possible. I'm glad all the moderators saw this the same way.:thumbup:

#31 ·
I think how this thread is nothing less of fantastic. It seems like you are a mature 14 year old who was looking for some advice and and a place to share your first hunting experience. You took the advice given admirably and will use it to better assess your future hunting endeavors. That's what forums like this are all about in the first place. I know(being a new hunter myself) that the information and advice I have recieved on DHC have helped me a great deal, not only in developing my tactics and abilities as a hunter, but also by making me the best hunter ethically that I can possibly be.

I don't think that anyone was intentionally trying to "ragg on you". Everyone makes poor judgement calls from time to time, as I know I have in the past, but I would agree that it is our responsibility as hunters to only take shots that will ensure the most humane harvesting of game no matter we are hunting.

As far as you worrying about posting future threads.......DON"T. No one here is perfect and no one will think less of you in the future because of this thread. Especially after your reply in your last post. It sounds like you are on the right track for many more exciting hunting adventures to come. I wish you the best of luck in the future. :thumbup:

#32 ·
white tail bow master. you just made my day. im realy glad you took the constructive criticizam (sp) the right way. stick around, you will learn alot from these older guys. i sure have and im more than twice your age, and iv been hunting for years. and HM thanks for the complamance. i realy apresheat them.

#34 ·
Changed Hunter

Here's the first example of my changed outlook of ethical deer hunting. Another deer hunting story from about ten minutes ago from yours truely.

So I found out where these does, one big mama and her two yearlings, bed behind our house. I circled around and found a trail that led to where I was going, a deer trail I realized when I looked down to make sure that I wasn't cracking too many leaves when I went to step that there were small tracks. At that moment in time, it didn't register that those were probably the yearlings' tracks. Well I came around this fallen down tree from the ice storm and turned right and went about five or ten yards to stand next to a small tree that overlooked the valley I had just climbed.

Well I heard a few squirrels barking from where I thought that the deer bedded and thought, "This just may be my lucky day. Although, I doubt it cuz I just wore these clothes like half an hour ago when I shot some hoops and sweated up a storm in them." Well I barely caught a glimpse of the deer's legs when they crossed the creek at the bottom of this little incline and started to climb up it.

Well I thought that they were going to cross to the field behind me over to my left which presented no ethical shot. Wrong. They crossed left to right right in front of me not twenty yards away. I had no ethical, or clear for that matter, shot, so I let them keep walking but positioned myself so that I could make a shot where I thought that they were going.

.............................HOLY @#!?

All of a sudden the doe came out from behind the fallen down tree that I just came out from behind not ten minutes before, all smelly, and almost presented me with a ten yard broadside shot. Almost. I didn't have a clear, ethical shot, so I squated to where I was almost on my knees like a catcher. Clear, ethical shot. Ten yards, both of us completely exposed. And let me tell you that if I said that this deer was a monster, that'd be like calling a t rex a lizard. This is the biggest deer I've ever seen in all my life and I've watched plenty of the outdoor channel. I wish I could've snapped a picture right then. Her head was bout as big as my upper body. It'd easily be as wide as my shoulders if I layed it across my chest. I mean a MONSTER deer. I almost crapped my pants.

She was moving and the shot wouldn't be presented for more than thirty seconds if she stopped, so I made a split second decision and went to pull my bow back.

She heard my close rub against each other and saw me right when I broke the let off hump on my compound. It didn't take her half a second to process "RUN!" and do it. I didn't even have time to look down my peep sight.

I've often asked myself as I hunt every weekend and almost never see a deer, "Is deer hunting really for me, or should I just stick to shooting targets?" Well instances like this, where you set up and it works out just like, or almost like, you planned it makes it all worth going out and doing it. I didn't kill a deer, but I was almost as excited as if I had. Killing the deer itself isn't really exciting as the thrill of the hunt. It's all worth it to even be outdoors and see one of those great, majestical even, creatures in their natural habitat.

I just thought that you guys might like to know how it went and how by next weekend, I might be one doe tag short and one more story richer. I'll keep you posted on how the hunting goes with this doe. It's the doe I've set out to get this season from the start, and definitely now. And you'll be the first to know about it when I do finally get it.

Thanks for all the great posts. More are definitely welcome.

#37 ·
What a thread!!!!

Congrats on your first bow deer Whitetail Bowmaster. Not many 14 year olds can say they have tagged a deer with an arrow.

Good luck on your upcoming weekend and fill us in on how the hunt goes.

Oh yeah.. Next deer you get be sure and take a picture and join our contest for youth hunters. If you have a pic from your deer you already tagged that will work as well..

#38 ·
Doe Illudes Again

Went hunting again yesterday before a big tournament championship basketball game for my school (I play). Decided to sit down where the doe usually crosses to a field. Wind was just galing and I figured that I wouldn't see any animal out, let alone the doe.

Next thing I know, she's comin in right where I'm set up to shoot. This time she was further off than last time and without her fawns, but she still saw me trying to get up. Snorted, took about three steps off in the other direction, snorted three or four more times and then kinda cantered off. I don't think that I spooked her like a 100 percent, but she knew something was up.

I'm going hunting again tonight for her. She usually crosses round 5:30, so I don't know if I could get back to ya tonight if I get her. I'll deffinetly tell you tomorrow either way how it goes. I'm hoping to be a doe tag short by the time I reply on here. Hope being the operative word. I'll keep you all posted.

#40 ·
The funny thing is is that I don't think I've been busted by her nose yet. I mean, she's only ever spooked because she's seen me. Our, my family's, scent is normal where I hunt because I'm hunting close to our house and closer to my uncle's. Human and dog scent are all over the place. That must be why she's only spooked by my movement. And all their trails go right next to an old car that's in the woods for some reason. And the path crosses a four wheeler path.

Regardless of what is spooking her, I'd like to get some scent blocker and stuff like that, scent free soap and what not, but I simply just can't afford it. My dad doesn't believe in using things to cover your scent, so I'm not going to get anything of the nature from him. My grandpa killed the biggest deer in this part of the state years back and he wasn't wearing anything but his car harts that he'd been working in all day, it field dressed and was still like 250 I think. Anyways, I'll look into some scent killer before I head out to hunt anywhere else, or anywhere if I'm looking for a buck.

Thanks for the advice, more is welcome.

#41 ·
i dident know you were right next to your house. your probbly right, you sent would make no dif if you are in an area were there is human sent any way. i shot a nice 6 pointer wereing blue jeans and i white tee shirt and no cover sent about 50 yards from my back door about 8 years ago. and you are realy starting to put the pieses together about hunting. this post has turned out much beter than any of us could have ever imaganed or hoped for.:thumbup:

#43 ·
Thanks for the compliment and story, nh.

And I am 14 and no, none of any of what I said are lies, and/or fictacious in any manner. :ranting: You might not believe my age from my high vocabulary, but I'm kinda smart for said age. And I'm a darn good author too. Well at least for our classroom pursuasives and narratives. I'm not going to give you my birth certificate number or anything, but belive me when I say that I'm 14 as of last month. And I don't lie. I might've been raised unethicaly as far as hunting goes, but other than that, I've had a good, oldschool raising with plenty of woopins and groundings and I don't lie. Especially to adults. Just the other day, my teacher heard me kuss and asked what I said and I came right out and told her. (I said "A bad word." so as to not repeat what I said and further my punishment.)

Anyways, thanks again, nh. I guess I am piecing things together, but I have an uncanny ability to take in large amounts of informantion and retain it. That's why I like to read a lot. Anyways, now's for how the hunting went yesterday.

Went out, set up between bedding area and feeding ground. (decided to go passive since it's early in the season) Long story short, half of the herd, if that's what a group of deer is called, crossed about 100 yards over to my left. I couldn't see them, but I could hear them, and they came trotting down the edge of the field thirty yards behind me and I could see their outlines- about 6-8 in all. It got too dark to shoot, or at least to track the deer down without a flash light (which I hadn't brought) so I decided to pack it up for the day and spooked the other half of the herd that were coming right down the path I was set up to shoot on.

Better luck next time, I guess. Wish me luck tonight.

#45 ·
Hunted on the other side of my house this morning. One word to describe how I felt. COLD. I can hardly type cuz my fingers are still numb. I set up and a, I think THE, doe and two fawns came in to where there were some scrapes on the ground, probably hers. I was on the ground and couldn't draw cuz they'd see me, so I just visualized my shot placement and waited.

I don't know if she saw my outling against the lightening sky or what, but she spooked. (this doe spooks a lot. last time I went hunting and didn't write about it, she spooked and ran right at me. still didn't give me a shot, though) Anyways, she ran off about three steps with her fawns, then took a second look at me, I guess she decided I was ok, then started eating and stuff on the ground and slowly workin her way away from me, out of my range. Never had a chance to draw with three deer constantly lookin my way.

Seein if someone can take me to walmart today to buy a cheapy stand of some sort. I only got $65. I'm not goin deer hunting again wihtout some sort of way to conceal myself.

Anyone can post their huntin stories on this thread. I know every1 gets tired of me talkin bout my little unproductive adventures, so let's hear some new stories from some others. Any1 and every1 that's got a story to tell can do it here.

#46 ·
Wow

I have to take a shot at this one. Number one, you shouldn't have taken the shot... number two, lets leave the ego out of this. My worst fear is that young hunters (age with a bow, not physical age) are going to hit the timber before they are ready to be there. You have a lot to learn about the ways of the woods. I learn something or see something new everytime I go out. You have to be patient when you are waiting for your shot. You know what? Sometimes you wont get the shot, it is part of respecting the animals we are trying to harvest. Kow your limitations and NEVER go beyond that. If you are a great shot at 20 yards and the deer gives you the shot, then go for it. Stretching your comfort zone, or taking risky shots because your butt is wet, and you are cold isn't going to result in a clean kill. I almost laughed when you said you almost gave up bow hunting after a couple of hours in the woods.... You have to understand that with a bow in your hand, things need to work out perfectly for you to tag a deer. scent control, the right stand location, the perfect angle etc. I think it is great that you took up the sport, we need more people to be involved, but it scares me when people grab a bow, shoot it a few hundred times at a paper target and then head to the timber. Wow, how things change there, yardage looks different, there are tree limbs and brush to consider, and the deer desereve for you to be prepared to take the shot, or pass when the time isn't right. Practice, practice practice..... but make it good practice. 3D targets from different angles, and pleasee practice elevated shots BEFORE you get in a tree stand with your bow. as for the deer only being a spike. We have all done it.... Congrats on your first deer, but check the ego, and enjoy the experience. You don't have to harvest an animal to make it a great day in the woods.

#47 ·
I have to take a shot at this one. Number one, you shouldn't have taken the shot... number two, lets leave the ego out of this. My worst fear is that young hunters (age with a bow, not physical age) are going to hit the timber before they are ready to be there. You have a lot to learn about the ways of the woods. I learn something or see something new everytime I go out. You have to be patient when you are waiting for your shot. You know what? Sometimes you wont get the shot, it is part of respecting the animals we are trying to harvest. Kow your limitations and NEVER go beyond that. If you are a great shot at 20 yards and the deer gives you the shot, then go for it. Stretching your comfort zone, or taking risky shots because your butt is wet, and you are cold isn't going to result in a clean kill. I almost laughed when you said you almost gave up bow hunting after a couple of hours in the woods.... You have to understand that with a bow in your hand, things need to work out perfectly for you to tag a deer. scent control, the right stand location, the perfect angle etc. I think it is great that you took up the sport, we need more people to be involved, but it scares me when people grab a bow, shoot it a few hundred times at a paper target and then head to the timber. Wow, how things change there, yardage looks different, there are tree limbs and brush to consider, and the deer desereve for you to be prepared to take the shot, or pass when the time isn't right. Practice, practice practice..... but make it good practice. 3D targets from different angles, and pleasee practice elevated shots BEFORE you get in a tree stand with your bow. as for the deer only being a spike. We have all done it.... Congrats on your first deer, but check the ego, and enjoy the experience. You don't have to harvest an animal to make it a great day in the woods.
Next time you might want to read the entire thread before you post. I've already realized everything you tried to throw at me. Bad shot, check. Shouldn't have taken it, check. Practice more before I try it again, check. Know that everything has to go just right, check. Practice in tree stand, which I don't even have, before going and trying to hunt out of it, duh. I've heard all of this, I've taken advice, and I'm a better hunter now because of it. Now, I'm tired of hearing it. I'm taking this thread where I want it to go, and I'm tired of being criticized. I'm trying to make a place where people can tell their own stories. What's done is done. Leave it alone.

#50 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry about being so jumpy there. This is the first time I've visited in a while and I'm a little more mature now. Just so people know, I'm probably not going to be on here again. I'm stickin with another site. Way more people which means quicker replies and that's important with the limited time I can get on the computer.

Whitetail Bowmaster, OUT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.