Deer Hunting Forums banner

CVA recall

40K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
Hello fellow hunters,
My name is Sean and I am new to muzzleloading. I just purchased a cva apollo from a friend of mine and I started researching the gun because I had no knowledge of the model. Upon my very first google I was surprised to see a whole page of "DO NOT FIRE THIS GUN" "DANGEROUS GUN" I'm thinking GREAT...here I go, after reading a few horor stories and finally the actual recall on CVA website I called and confirmed the gun I have is in fact recalled. Has anyone participated in the recall? I am wondering what exactly they replace my defective gun with and how smoothly and promptly this process occurred. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

#2 ·
I bought one several years ago then heard of the recall I called CVA an gave them the serial number an they assured me that mine was not recalled have used it with great success since. I imagine that they would replace it with a equal model if you return it to the factory.

#3 ·
I kinda recall hearing about this CVA Apollo Recall awhile back and If I'm not mistaken, I think CVA is going to send you a Brand NEW "SAFER" muzzleloader.

I can't speak for CVA or the people that posted the Dangerous Muzzleloaders nonsense BUT Apparently CVA has recognized a problem and are taking all measures to correct it. CVA has been marketing Muzzleloaders for about 40 years now, I don't believe CVA would have that long history if all they marketed were junk muzzleloaders...

Just follow CVA's recall directions and I'm sure you'll be a very happy Camper in the end.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Welcome to the Deer Hunters Club...

#4 ·
several years ago i bought a cva bolt action i liked it alot it was great the first year but the next yea it wouldnt fire the primer would goe off but that was it talk to other people and found out the had same problem so will never buy cva again had to go out the day before season open and buy new gun

#6 ·
several years ago i bought a cva bolt action i liked it alot it was great the first year but the next yea it wouldnt fire the primer would goe off but that was it talk to other people and found out the had same problem so will never buy cva again had to go out the day before season open and buy new gun[ :no: cva makes a fine product almost every gun maker has had a recall at one point or another,try giving them another shot

#5 ·
My buddy just bought a CVA Buckhorn from Bass Pro. It's a $200 gun and that's it. I'm no frontstuffer expert, but I wasn't real impressed with it. It sprayed bullets all over the place with 300gr Shockwave bullets and 2 pellets of Shockey's Gold, cleaning after every 3rd shot. I'm sure the powder had something to do with it. There were some pretty wild variances in weight between individual pellets. He's going to try 777 and see if it improves (seems to be more uniform in weight). But as it stands, it's a 40 yard gun.

With all I'm reading on this company, is this thing even safe to shoot?

#7 ·
Answers to Questions About CVA

Hi, everyone.

Regarding the CVA Muzzleloader issue everyone is talking about -- I work with some of the guys at CVA, so when I heard about this, I grilled them so I could get to the bottom of the story.

Here's what I found out:

• It's no surprise that hunters would be interested in this. After all, safety is everybody's #1 priority.
• That said, this story has been floating around since the mid-1990s.
• What happened almost 15 years ago was that the previous owners of the CVA brand had a voluntary recall in 1997.
• There have been no "exploding actions." The failure of the recalled guns resulted from a breaking of the barrel in the area where the breech portion and the barrel portion were connected. (Apparently, they used two-piece barrels back then. Now they use one-piece.)
• Sooner or later, virtually all manufacturers have a product recall. That said, no other CVA gun model has been recalled since 1997.
• The guns marketed today under the CVA brand are much improved than those marketed by the previous owners in the mid-1990s.

Again, I wanted to find out about this story, so I went straight to the source. After all, safety is every hunter's biggest concern. I hope this helps.

#8 ·
Well Thank you Mr. Jamie Turner for taking the time to look into it and also for coming back to let us know what you found out.
I'm sure your post will help ease the minds of many hunters who own CVA front loaders.
It's comforting for the owners of the CVA's to know they're not in danger with their own equipment as they hunt. :thumbup:

#9 ·
my first cva was a st louis hawkens sidelock used it for yrs , no problem , two yrs ago just before the season opener the spring went to heck and i had to get a replacement quickly , got a cva buckhorn , only thing walmart had on hand , got it sighted in quickly with 90 grs cleanshot powder and 348 grain powerbelt bullet got a nice fat little doe with the first shot , although admittedly not a long shot , as the other folks have said can get a lemon in all of them , i now have a t/c triumph and my little 11 yr old gets my cva and i wont worry a bit about it

G
#10 ·
CVA Apollo Recall

I sent in my CVA .50cal Apollo Classic and they promptly replaced it with a CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum in .50cal with #209 primer, stainless barrel, synthetic camo stock. Call first to verify your serial nuber is part of the recall. Took probably 3-4 weeks to get the new gun back. It is a wonderful gun to shoot and I have never had any issues with it. It says you can use 3 50gr pellets but I stick to 90-95grains of loose powder.

#11 ·
is this a "NEW" recall or the continued CVA recall of All in-lines with serial numbers that end with the numbers 95 or 96?

this following is the 95-96 notice from CVA's website.

CVA VOLUNTARY RECALL NOTICE:

In August 1997 CVA implemented a Voluntary Recall of In-Line rifle models with serial numbers ending in -95 and -96. If you have a CVA In-Line model with such a serial number, DO NOT USE OR ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO USE THE GUN. If you have one of these rifles, please call CVA immediately at 770-449-4687 for complete details and a free replacement gun. Example serial numbers: 61-13-XXXXXX-95 or 61-13-XXXXXX-96.

In May 1999 Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. and now operates under the trade name of Connecticut Valley Arms and/or CVA. Any claims relating to the above described Voluntary Recall should be addressed to Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., not Blackpowder Products, Inc. Blackpowder Products, Inc. assumes no liability for any products manufactured prior to January 1, 1998.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
In my opinion, far too many people have had their lives destroyed by using cheap imported muzzle loaders as directed by manufacturer's printed instructions. There are no muzzle loading standards and there is no governing body on the American muzzle loading scene to effect any descent quality control or safety testing. Its a sad thing that people get hurt doing something they love and that's spiritual to them.

#22 ·
Good evening end of March 2023; I purchased my CVA 50 Cal. Buckhorn Mag. back in late 2009 or early 2010. Think it was for the '09 season. Almost 15 yrs later, it's still working great. Last yr my 23 yr old (autistic son) took a beautiful 6 point at a bit over 100 yards. Still a beauty to shoot.

#24 ·
Congratulations to you and your son!!! Like all weapons with proper cleaning, maintenance and storage they will last and perform great for many many years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.