Deer Hunting Forums banner

How Far Do You Sight???

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how far everyone gets to sight in there black powder?? I take about 45 big steps and use my 4-wheeler as a rest. I figure if I can get a tight group at this distance im pretty good from 0-80 yards. Agree or disagree? And how far you think I drop at 100 yards...I guess I could try it, but just havent.

#2 ·
i sight mine in to be dead on at 50 yrds the avg shot round here if i need to go out to a 100 my max i hold a little high

#3 ·
the only way to know how your gun shoots is to shoot it. Don't take a shot based on a guess. There can be a lot of difference between gun/powder/bullet combos used. If you plan on making 100 yard shots you need to practice @ 100 yards until you are comfortable with that distance...I feel like I am stating the obvious, but just do it.

#4 ·
I'd like to really hear you shoot from a solid shooting bench with specific powder loads and maybe at least 2-3 different bullets. I don't think the yardage is a big problem if you sight in at say 50 yds and group 1-1/2" high centered. The loading sequence for muzzleloaders is important and needs to be done nearly identical every time. If you use pellets don't crush them if you use powder just compact the bullet. Practice makes perfect. Hopefully, you're rigged with a good scope. 100 yds starts to get long for open sights and for me and my eyesight too long without a scope. Most in-line guys are using 2-50 gr pellets; powder 90-100 grs/equivilent for 50 cal guns. I hear 777 powder is getting good reviews, I'm an old blackpowder guy so I use 2f and 3f.

#5 ·
there is a great post about this on the site somewhere. groups should be two to three inches high at 50yds and at 100yds shot should be on the bull.This is with 100 grains powder and a 250gr round.Oh and you start short and work out to max yds.good luck and probably the best thing is to expierement with the combos you intend to use.

#6 ·
As stated above all MZ will have some differences, it is best to have your own experience from the range to tell you what your gun will do. With that said; My Reminigton is sited in dead on at 100 yards. this puts me about 1 1/2" high at fifty yards. that is shooting 100grs FF powder and a 300gr Hornaday XTP mag.

#7 ·
thanks

Thanks for all the info!!! I shoot a 50 cal. and measure my powder every time.(100 gr.) I try and stay consistant on everything...(dont want everyone to think I just go out there sling lead all over the place!!) Thanks again ill be in the stand bright and early. Good luck everyone!!!

#8 ·
Thanks for all the info!!! I shoot a 50 cal. and measure my powder every time.(100 gr.) I try and stay consistant on everything...(dont want everyone to think I just go out there sling lead all over the place!!) Thanks again ill be in the stand bright and early. Good luck everyone!!!
nahhhh we're just safety nuts trying to send a message.best of luck tomorrow .hope Mr big walks broadside at 35yrds and your setup works.Send us the pics with that MZ across the 5X5 rack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.