Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Look out Deer here comes the Noslers...
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:06 AM
roysclockgun
Scrub Buck

Hello Hunters,

I have been working at getting bang/flop hits on deer since the late 1950s. I began with a cut down Brit. 303cal. military rifle and factory ammo. If I did my job and made shoulder hits, the deer went down and stayed down. As I moved up the food chain a bit, I got a Ruger M77 in .243Win. No flames, please, but for me the .243Win. did not provide a wide enough wound channel and I did lose a few deer, when the blood trail ran out in heavy cover.

I moved up to .270Win. and 130gr. standard bullet design. I could have stayed with that combo, but I read too much. Not long before Jack O'Connor died, he said that if he were young again, he go with the .280 Remington cartridge, instead of the .270Win. I believed Jack and got my new rifle in .280Rem. and never looked back. I hand load, so no problems getting my ammo.

About the same time, again after reading too much, I went with lighter bullets in my hand loading, along with much higher muzzle velocity. The bonded bullets held together so much better than the older designs, that it was a no brainer to go to them and to lighter bullet weights.

Along with the lighter, bonded bullet idea, I wanted the higher velocity, because I cut my teeth on ground hog shooting and knew that bullet drop was a critical issue. After lots of observation on deer kills, I settled on the Nosler 7mm 120gr. Ballistic Tip (Hunting). That bullet is a stone killer and bang/flop producer. I get nice, wide wound channels and almost always a big exit hole that keeps the deer anchored, where they were hit.

The only complaint that I have heard from others, is that there is some meat loss with that bullet. My question has to be; are you willing to lose some meat in order to get a quick humane kill.

I have used the same load, with MV over 3000 fps, on everything from light weight pronghorns to large mule deer bucks, all with the same results. The only time I have changed bullets is on elk, when I went to 7mm 160gr. Barnes Solids, in order to assure that I could break a large bull's shoulder, if I had to do so. I have only taken two bulls. Both right at or near 300 yards. Because I was old and shaky and worn out from climbing, I had to hit both bulls more than once. However, both hits were killers, but the first hit did not knock him down, so of course, I kept shooting.

Please post back with your opinions and results?

Shoot straight in life,
Steven A.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome