Deer Hunting Forums - View Single Post - Good Factory Ammo for Ruger American .308
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Sage of the Sage
Scrub Buck

Good Factory Ammo for Ruger American .308

I was looking for basically 2 things in a new rifle: light weight and accuracy. Everything I read about the Ruger American seemed to draw me in, and I liked the price. So, I bought one, a .308, on Black Friday and took it to the range. The only thing I've tried in it so far was 165grn Hornady American Whitetail (it runs great through my other rifles), but it was pretty awful in the RAR. Couldn't do any better than about 3 inch groups at 100yds.

I'm not a sophistocated shooter. I'm a hunter; to me shooting and guns are a means to an end and not an end in themselves. I don't reload and really don't have much interest in starting. What I like to do is zero my rifles at 200 yards and placing my personal limit in the field at about 300 - I figure if I can't get closer than 300 yds to a deer or an elk I need to be a better hunter. So, I'm looking for sugestions on factory loads that might work to that end out of a Ruger American .308.

Anybody already been through this with RAR .308? Any suggestions?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome