Deer Hunting Forums banner

cold weather hunting

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Mark Henry 
#1 ·
So its suppose to be -2 degrees on Tuesday the day I'm off work. Any tips? I've always had luck with a small pop up and a buddy heater next to a picked corn field. Others?

#7 ·
Well my hunting is done for this season, but good luck! Speaking of buddy heaters,,, my parents bought me one of those this year for Christmas... anxious to use it!
what model heater did you get? I have the Mr heater,buddy heater. I use it in NC hunting. It really helps. has been times without it I would have headed to the house. I have found that buying the small propane tanks in the summer or cheaper. Also make sure to have 2 tanks, depending on how cold and how much you use it and how high you run it it can go thru a tank in 3-4 hrs. I also got a 5lb tank and a connector to use when gonna stay in a blind for a few days at a time. will save you some money and wont have to worry about propane as much

Attachments

#5 ·
Had I went to PA would have been hunting in-35* wind chill, not! ML season is done for me. Not the season I had thought it was going to be nor did it compare to last season. Going to possibly try to crossbow hunt the weekend of the 17th, son thinks we can hunt SE Ohio and he will load the crossbow for me. We'll see.

#8 ·
I never even got my flintlock out of the gun cabinet for deer season this year. First time that happened in a lot of years. I only had three days off from work during the entire muzzleloader season & the first day it was like monsoon season here. Then, the other two days the temp was at -18* F so I stayed in the house.

#12 ·
I do it, but I am not that smart

I have been on many hunts on Deer opening weekend here in Minnesota where the temp is on the wrong side of 0 degrees F. We have never had much success during those hunts because the Deer are to cold to move and are smart enough to stay in their warm beds. If we were smarter that is also where we would have stayed. I am not a fan of hunting in brutal cold. You are miserable and have to keep reminding yourself that no one is actually paying you to do this, it is supposed to be FUN.

Karl

#13 ·
The problem is that when we travel we have to hunt or sit in camp. Even in the extreme cold we saw/kicked up deer every day. Flintlock hunting is a close in hunt, many times the deer jump up and stop to look back offering a shot. Hands and feet give me a lot more trouble now but hunting is better than staying home every time. I learned to hunt really cold stuff in the late season in the UP of Michigan. I still love late season hunting.

#14 ·
Yea, I usually only have a couple of days to hunt....

We usually only get out on the opening weekend for Deer. When I went Elk hunting in Idaho with an outfitter I would have been hunting if it was 20 below. I was lucky with the weather both times I went to Idaho. I am jealious of the Members that measure their Deer hunting in weeks or months. Here in MN we have 9 days for hunting with a rifle. The hunters that use a bow add another couple of months. That is also a good reason that some use black powder in the alternate seasons. Those extra seasons can add weeks to the Deer hunting.

Karl

#15 ·
Karl, I try to get in a least 5 travel hunts a year. Some are just a 4 hour drive for a weekend hunt others are out of state for up to 9 days. Best thing is it's always with my son or best hunting buddies. Throw in a week up in Canada for fishing and I'm pretty contented for a year. Can't wait to retire and really do some serious hunting and fishing. :bag:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.