- 2-1/2 to 3 Lbs. Deer (Use the shoulder roast, rump roast, or bottom round from your deer.)
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp. Dried Basil Leaves
- 1/2 Tsp. Dried Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 (10-1/2 oz.) Can Condensed French Onion Soup
- 1/2 Cup Water, Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 to 6 Medium Carrots, Cut into 2-inch Pieces
- 3 Stalks Celery, Cut into 2-inch Pieces
- 1 Gallon Milk
- Prepare meat by trimming away all waste.
- Place roast in a container that permits a small amount of space on all sides and at the top, the container needs to be the size that allows liquid to completely cover the roast.
- Put your roast in to the container and cover with the milk. Let the roast soak in the milk, overnight or at least for 12 hours. Drain Milk.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large plastic food-storage bag, combine flour, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper; shake to mix. Add meat; shake to coat.
- In oven, brown meat on both sides in oil.
- Add remaining flour mixture, soup, water, and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling. Remove from heat; cover.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and celery. Re-cover
- Bake until meat and vegetables are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours longer.
- Discard bay leaf before serving.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Easy Grill Instructions
- Place the roast in a roasting pan or on a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Cover roasting pan with top or seal with foil. If on a sheet of heavy duty foil, fold it over and seal it. Make it an air-tight package.
- Place the prepared meat on the gas grill and save your kitchen from high heat.
- Set the control of the gas grill at “low”, cover the grill and cook for about 3 hours or until done. If charcoal grill, and there is no top, make a tent with foil.
- Unwrap, slice and serve.
This recipe contributed by forum member deercook. To add a recipe of your own please visit our hunting recipes forum.