Back Strap Medallions
- Full Strap Back Strap
- Jalapeno Peppers
- BBQ Sauce
- ½ Small Can Tomato Paste
- ¼ Cups Water
- ¼ Tsp. Each: White, Red, and Black Pepper
- 2 Tbs. Each: Molasses, Honey, Corn Syrup & Brown Sugar
- Liquid Smoke
- Start with a full strap and trim off any silver.
- Cut into 1″ thick medallions.
- Clean and halve Jalapeno peppers and blanch them in a pan with ½-inch of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water. (The outside skin should be easy to peel off by doing this step.)
- Fry a pound of bacon partially, just until the slices shrink.
- Remove from pan and wrap venison with a slice, tuck in a half of a pepper and secure with a toothpick.
- Chill until you prepare the BBQ sauce (store-bought sauce just won’t be the same).
- In a bowl, start with ½ a small can of tomato paste and add ¼ cup water.
- Add pepper (white, red, black, ¼ teaspoon each or to taste). Careful with the white, it’s hot!
- Add equal parts of molasses, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup & brown sugar (about 2 tablespoons of each).
- Add a few drops of liquid smoke.
- Now grill on med-high heat with the bacon side down and turn constantly, basting with BBQ sauce, just until the bacon crisps.
Cooking this way will get the venison cooked med-rare. Serve right off the grill with a nice side like baked red potato with cheddar cheese topping.
This recipe contributed by forum member Whackastack. To add a recipe of your own please visit our hunting recipes forum.