gettin lil man into huntin - Page 4 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Youth Sportsmen

Old 09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
B&C 160 Class

the little brat is good. iv taken him to the range a few times. now hes bustin my chops any time i make the smallest error. he cought me on not putting the bb guns safty back on right after taking a shot. gess il have to be on my best behavor.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 09-11-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
B&C 180 Class

ahh that shows hes paying attention and listening.my nephew busted me for not sliding my glasses down onto my eyes from my head
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 PM
B&C 100 Class

at six my boy was shooting his first doves. ok trying to shoot his first doves, even most adults miss a lot of doves.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
B&C 100 Class

my son is nine and i took him alot last year. he has a 22 and a 243 , which he can shoot the both of them good . So ur right its up to the parents if they r ready yet, teach them safe gun handling.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 PM
B&C 140 Class

well my input on this and I am like you and have a 9 soon to be 10 year old. and a friend with the same. we have this discussion alot between the two. although he has already had his son in the woods I have yet to take mine for him to hunt but he has came along and sat in the blind and my buddy ladder stand a few times, now my reasons why. I fell he is still learning like I've heard on here a few times now about his judgment although an adult should be making that call for them - (telling them when its and were its safe to shoot and also be in a posision to mantain and take full control of the gun at all times) you still have to deal with their ability to make a good shot placement on the animal (that is were an adult can not/does not have any control) now in my case , my son can burn the middle out of a target with a BB or his 22 but lacks the control to keep his 243 in any kind of constant patteren. thats a deal breaker for me right there. I will not alow him to take a shot at an animal knowing that even if he is truly aiming at that little spot on that big animal his shot history tells me he will just most likely wound that animal and never put it down fast enough to recover it. and not to mintion I have never had him in the woods and him last. about two hours and hes done so I would recomend a buddy stand atleast 20 foot up and use a skirt around the stand or a ground blind but the tree stand is much better for young ones ( gets them up out of the sent zone and out of site- witch is 16 foot and above) but in the end I think with the combo of the kick of the 243 and him knowing the kick is coming (the almighty flinch) is his killer thats the difference from the BB and 22 to the 243.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 PM
B&C 160 Class

you havent been scouting till you bring your 6 year old out scouting. not only is it an extera set of eyes, but they are much closer to the ground. and if any one can find poop its a 6 year old. finding scat in the fall in NH is hard. almost as soon as it hits the ground, its covered in fallen leavs. we went today and found tons of it.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:47 PM
B&C 180 Class

they are also at the perfect height to find rubsmy nephews run from tree to tree down the rub line
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-13-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
you havent been scouting till you bring your 6 year old out scouting. not only is it an extera set of eyes, but they are much closer to the ground. and if any one can find poop its a 6 year old. finding scat in the fall in NH is hard. almost as soon as it hits the ground, its covered in fallen leavs. we went today and found tons of it.
I wonder how good it would be to Vaccuum seal some deer droppings to use for mock scrapes.....
Anyone here ever thought of trying that? sounds like something I might give a try someday.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 AM
B&C 180 Class

dont get em mixed up with your raisenetts
Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Very Good tip Joel ....