gettin lil man into huntin - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Youth Sportsmen

Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 AM
B&C 100 Class

Hunt Nh that is a great looking boy you've got. I don't have any kids so I will be of no help on this subject, but I just wanted to say how wonderful it is to see you gettin your boy started on the right foot. My dad left the family when I was four and was never around after that. My mom got me started on a bb gun around 7 or 8 and use to take me squirrel hunting when I was around 9 or ten. A few years later she would take me dove hunting. Looking back on my childhood, these are some of my fondest memories. I am sure that the times spent with your son outdoors in his early years will be some of his fondest as well. He is very lucky to have such a devoted father.
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 PM
B&C 120 Class

I taught Jacob @ 8 :) I think a little toooo good
Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 PM

I started my son at 8. Took him every year deer hunting in PA and fishing in Canada. Now at 22 he still does both but not much with good old dad who taught him everything he knows....
Old 08-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Scrub Buck

Starting with BB gun is best, IMHO. My parents were both avid bird hunters and rabbit hunters. They started me out that way, too. We have NEVER had a firearm accident. Safety and respect of firearms first.

I have helped my son learn marksmanship with his BB gun (he's 10 now) and let him shoot my AK recently. He's still too small to hold it on his own but braced on my truck bed he shoots better than me! He will be 11 before this season, and I bought him a Rossi .223 single shot youth that he can handle.

As for marksman training, BB's are not that accurate. I think a good idea would be to go to a pellet rifle after the BB gun. More accurate and you can mount a scope on it to get him used to using a scope. Also, I started him target practicing rested. Then, I would catch him while he was playing hard and had his heart going real good. Have him shoot some while breathing hard so he could learn to control his shot under stress (like when that big buck is within range). Like I said, he's now a better shot than me. LOL

Good luck to you both!
Old 08-29-2009, 02:16 PM
B&C 160 Class

all good advice. thanks to everyone for giving me imput on this one. i literaly just got back from Dicks sporting goods were i just bought him his first bb gun. its a red rider. i musta heard "your gona shoot your eye out" 4 times between the register and my car. im gona teach him on that at the range, and when i am comforatable with it im gona take him squirl hunting with it and move him to a .22 when at the range. it will stay that way for a few years till he is ready for a .243 . man i am so pumped about this. ima able to give my son something my dad never gave me. the opritunity to be brought up around guns the right way insted of "your not tuching a gun till your 18 cause mom sead so."
Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
B&C 100 Class

i agree with buckfever start with BB gun and move up. Juist dont let him shot his eye out!
Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 PM
B&C 180 Class

congrats on getting him involved.I taught my nephew how to shoot a 22 at 6yrs old.we did single shot full safety gear ,speach etc.he 's 12 now can legal hunt small game his mom wont let him have his own gun but does have a pellet gun under lock and key.hes taken his bow safety class and will be taking his gun safety class this year then he gets his first license.I bought him a lifetime license when he was born.Its all in the training and upbringing.I wouldnt allow him to have access to the guns without being present but otherwise go for it.just remember they dont have the endurance of a grown man and get bored easily.you may not get to do a lot of actual hunting and cant get upset when ya got to leave.thats my 2 cents
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-03-2009, 11:59 PM
B&C 160 Class

im not taking him the the deer stand during regular deer season till he can sit there till i want to go. untill then we wil squaral hunt with he, and take him deer hunting durring youth hunt weekend when i cant shoot one any ways, so if he wants to leave early its no skin off my back. reminds me of when i was a kid. all my uncles were into trolling for trout. after about 10 minits of it my twin bro would alway start complaining and wineing to go back home. not me i could troll all day long and only catch a fish or 2 and still be happy just to be out on the water, and catching a few fish hear and there. after just a few trips my uncles would always ask me if i wanted to go. and tell my bro no if he asked if he could go.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 AM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like a solid plan
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Scrub Buck

Location: Currently living in Shreveport LA but originally from Goshen Oh.

Thanks for all of the good advice. I will need to remember all of that in about 6 years when my son will be old enough to start.