kids want to hunt - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Youth Sportsmen

Old 03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Scrub Buck

Red face kids want to hunt

my kids have shown some interest in hunting. so i have inrolled the in a hunters safty course in july. we have been looking for some where to hunt any help would be great. we live in north iowa around the mason city area. they would be more than glad to take does to help out. we have looked at a lot of puplic areas but they are so full of everyone and there dog. being new at this im guessing we should be in a box blind as a tree stand would be hard. not sure what to do or where to go. help please and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
B&C 180 Class

im not in your area but i would suggest contacting your local DNR they usually have an outdoors woman program.this will teach you the skills you need and you'll probably make some contacts/friends.Also most states have a youth only week for the kids .this allows them to be in the woods without the crowds :Links for Each State's Hunting and Fishing Info.
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 03-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Scrub Buck

Talking

we do have a youth season here. im not sure why you think im female im not just new to hunting
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 PM
ronn

Joel's advice is good. Another thing you could do, and start soon, is knock on doors and bring your kids along and ask permission. Landowners are pretty likely to let kids hunt when they may not let an adult do so. Just explain what you are trying to do with your kids and always be respectful even if they say no. The worse thing that can happen is they say no. The Jakes program , part of the National Wild Turkey Federation, could be a source for all kinds of help. Good luck

another thing. with kids and new hunters around here I always suggest they start the kids with turkey hunting. Why? the weather tends to be better. turkeys are interactive, they talk back. and it can be a little more forgiving if a mistake is made. you don't have to think about the wind and scent. Just a thought.

Last edited by ronn; 03-20-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 PM
B&C 180 Class

sorry bout that thought it said madameyes are playing tricks with me
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 AM
ronn

"becoming an outdoors woman" is also a NWTF program and even though your not a woman, they do have the contacts to get you where you want to go.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:39 PM

I would add, get the kids shooting some back yard clays under good supervision. This will get them used to shooting a shotgun in a relaxed manner. This once the safety course is completed. Deer hunting is a great way to teach kids everything about hunting/nature. It takes several years to get them going but once they take off on their own it makes you proud! I didn't allow my son to carry a rifle for 4 years (under training) . He was 12 when he shot his first deer with me next to him. He is now 20 and has become a very good hunter. Good luck and thanks for bringing in new young hunters into our world.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
B&C 180 Class

air rifles are a great training tool.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
air rifles are a great training tool.
:P i got my 1st one at like 6 ^.^ I think that why i Got good aim... i even make my dad look bad =-)
Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default texas

Im not in your area either but here in east texas theres 2 youth weekends, the weekend before the general season and the weekend after general season. Also in west texas there realy good deer, turkey, hog, exotic hunting availible. Exotics are hunted year around.