Deer Hunting Forums banner

Backstrap Medallions

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  timberghost 
#1 ·
Here's my recipe for venison backstraps that can't be beat for my boys. They ask for them every time they come to the house!!

I start with a full strap and trim off any silver. Then cut into 1" thick medallions. Clean and halve Jalapeno peppers and blanch them in a pan with 1/2 inch of boiling water for about 2-3 minutes. Then rinse in cold water. The outside skin should be easy to peel off by doing this step. I fry a pound of bacon partially, just until the slices shrink. remove from pan and wrap venison with a slice, tuck in a half of a pepper and secure with a toothpick. Chill these until you prepare the BBQ sauce. Store bought sauce just won't be the same. In a bowl, start with 1/2 a small can of tomato paste. Add 1/4 cup water. Then add pepper 1/4 teaspoon each or to taste (white, red, black). Careful with the white, it's hot!! Add equal parts of mollases, honey, corn syrup, maple syrup & brown sugar (about 2 tablespoons of each). Then a few drops of liqiud smoke. I also use this BBQ sauce for my baby-back ribs. It RULES!! Grill these babies on med-high heat with the bacon side down and turn constantly, basting with sauce, just until the bacon crisps. this way the venison is cooked med-rare. Serve right off the grill with a nice side like baked red potato with cheddar cheese topping. ENJOY!! :thumbup:

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
That sounds mighty good man, I'll definitely give that a shot. Man that makes me feel like the most boring dude on the planet, here's how I do the straps : I just cut medallions (about 1 inch) and lay them in a vacuum seal bag and soak the pee out of them with lots of Italian dressing for a good marinade and then seal it with my vacuum sealer. When it comes time for a BBQ I just open them up and grill 'em up. To me they are great as is but my uncle/cousins all have their way of spicing and basting and that's good too. I guess I'm pretty basic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.