Deer Hunting Forums banner

venison roast Cajun style

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  pass it along 
#1 · (Edited)
Take a 5 lb. deer roast and trim all fat, gristle and silvery skin. Cut slits about 2 inches deep about 3 inches apart all around roast. Put about 1/4 cup of salt in a small bowl or coffee cup and put 1 tsp. of black pepper, garlic powder and Cayenne pepper and mix thouroughly.. Put hot sauce and worcestire sauce in the salt mixture. Stir until you have a thick paste. Put 1/2 tsp. of paste into each slit in the roast followed by a clove of garlic. Seat the garlic firmly into each slit.
Put roast into a large bowl that can be covered. Put 1 cup vinegar, one cup Italian dressing, one cup of wine into the bowl with enough water to cover the roast. Cover the bowl and refrigirate overnight.
Put one cup of oil in a heavy metal pot or dutch oven and heat the oil with a medium heat. Place roast in pot and brown evenly on all sides. Dice 2 large onions and put in pot with the roast and cover tightly. When onions have cooked down, put an 8 oz. glass of water in the pot and keep pot covered. Check occasionally and add water as needed. When roast begins to get tender, put 3 tablespoons of flour in an 8 oz glass of water and stir until mixed thoroughly. Put one tsp. Kitchen Bouquet to darken the flour mixture. Pour liquid in glass around the roast and stir with existing liquid in the pot. Put a tablespoon of minced garlic in gravy, 3 cups of chopped Portobello mushrooms and one cup of dry sherry. Continue to cook on low heat until roast is really tender. Slice the roast while still in the pot and let the meat absorb flavor from the gravy. Taste gravy and add salt and spices to suit your taste or allow your guests to add additional salt and spice to suit their tastbuds.
This meal goes well with Navy beans cooked with 1 or 2 medium sized diced onions, green onions and diced bellpeppers. The beans can be cooked with bacon, pickled pork or smoked sausage. Serve beans and gravy over steamed rice
BON APPETIT:yes:

See less See more
#3 ·
i have a veni roast in the freezer thats what im gonna do with it thanks:biggrin:

#5 ·
i love garlic its the hot sauce i could do without

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.