Wild Turkey Tamale - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Wild Game Recipes
Wild Game Recipes Share your home-made wildlife recipes!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Wild Turkey Tamale

I did this one earlier this year with the Gobbler I shot. After I smoked the breasts I needed to use the thighs and legs.

This may seem a bit long but worth it. While the turkey is cooking, you have plenty of time to prepare the rest.

Ingredients
Thighs and legs of 1 wild turkey
1 yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbl of Cumin Seed
1 Head of Star Anise
2 Tbl of black peppercorn

Take all of the above and place in a 8 qt stock pot. Place cumin, anise, and pepper corns in a piece of cheese cloth and tie off with butchers twine to make what looks like a little tea bag. Cover with water, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 2-3 hours. The foam that may accumulate on top of the water, skim off as it develops. remove the meat, onion chunks and set in a container and cover to let cool. Reserve 4 cups of the broth and set aside. Once cool, shred the meat and onions. A food prossesor works great for it.

4 cups Masa flour
2 tsp salt
1 cup corn oil
reserved broth

Mix dry ingredients together, with you hands mix in the oil, and broth )1/2 cup at a time) until mixture has a cookie dough consistency. Should take 2 and 1/2 to 3 cups of the broth.

Get some Tamale Corn Husks and soak in warm water until pliable (about 45 minutes) Directions for how to do this, and asseble the tamales should be on the side of the package of the husks. Asseble as the package directs and tie 3-4 together in one bunch. To cook, stand vertically and steam in a large pot with just enough water to barely touch the bottom of the Tamales for about an hour. You may have to add a little water here and there to keep the steam going. I have a collapsable veggie steamer basket that fits perfectly into the bottom of my stock pot.

Salsa

2.5 lbs of Tomatillos (those little green looking tomatos with the husks on them.
1 Jalapeno
1 Serrano
1 green bell pepper
pinch of salt
2 limes

Take tomatillos and peppers remove stems, (and seeds if you don't like it hot), spray with some cooking oil and the pinch of salt and place onto a hot grill and let go until the outsides are charred(12-15 minutes)

Place in a blender, and the juice of the 2 limes and puree. You may need to add a splash of water if it is too thick.

Serve 1 bunch of tamales with some salsa and sour cream on the side.

Should make about 3-4 dozen tamales depending on the size you make them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
B&C 180 Class

sounds like a great use of some tough meat
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Well put together recipe.. You mind if we use it in our recipe section at the top of your screen? We dont want recipes like these to get lost in the forums.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Feel free to use it, work great with rabbit as well.