Gaminess?? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Wild Game Recipes
Wild Game Recipes Share your home-made wildlife recipes!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Gaminess??

The only way I can get my family to eat any venison is either chilli, spegetti or my home made jerky. Steaks or roast, forget it! Is there any way or some method to taking the "gaminess" taste out of the meat? I don't mid it, but they will have no part of it. I think we would save alot of $$ if I could get them to eat it. Any thoughts other than trying to cover it with merinade, Tried that, they still didn't eat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 02:40 PM

I love this subject. Deer tastes like deer so trying to make it taste like beef is tough to do. I cook most of my deer roast/neck meat in a pressure cooker with garlic, onions, salt, pepper, and some soy sauce. I cook it for 30 minutes de-pressurize and add veggies and bring the cooker up to steam and shut off. When done you would have a hard time knowing it was deer and tender enough to use only a fork. I do like to grille steaks and will use tenderizer for 24 hrs in the fridge prior to cooking. Again soy, garlic, bacon rapped, any comercial tenderizer. You can do the tenderizing then put into a pan on the stove brown and add gravy and slow cook. Put this over rice and the family should love it. Any deer on the grille should not be over cooked or it will be tough. Hope this helps
Old 09-30-2009, 04:24 PM
B&C 180 Class

i eat so much i really dont notice it.it gets "gamey" from bad gutting/storage/handling most times.an old buck in the rut will be a little tougher i have noticed.try newbies out with the tender loins and back straps .also trim as much fat and silver skin as possible this is another source of gamey taste
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM

A crock pot works well. Hunting Mans post should do the trick.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
ronn

Lightbulb Sniglet best of lu

Sniglet best of luck on the job hunt. I like the idea of the source code maeartplkce, although it is a tough problem to crack.I just posted an engineering job on craigslist in Portland yesterday afternoon. I expected a few resumes to trickle in, but instead have received almost 20 in less than a day. Of these 20, 8 are probably over-qualified, and maybe only 4 of them I wouldn't consider. They are almost all high quality (on paper). I even got a response saying that they were a recent graduate and want to work *for free* just to gain experience (and get their foot in the door, I presume).There is certainly a large pool of talented people out there at the moment. Rate this comment: 0 0

Last edited by Kamini; 04-18-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: uoorQQfJ
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 PM
B&C 100 Class

Here is what I do to get the gaminess out. I soon as I shoot and remove the hams and backstraps(it does work with dethawed frozen meat as well), I put them in a cooler and salt em down(a lot of salt). Next I cover the meat with ice until there is about 3 inches of ice over the meat. Once the ice melts to water(usually about 12-24 hrs), I repeat the process again. This draws a WHOLE lot of the blood out of the meat and the meat doesn't taste salty at all. You can pretty much cook it however you like at this point and it will taste great. I have only had one person turn there nose up at my venison and he said that it taste good, but he didn't like it because of the idea of eating deer. Go figure.

My buddy soaks his meat in vinegar and ice over night and he swears it not only takes the gamey taste out but also makes the meat more tender. However I have never tried this method. One because salt is so cheap, and also because my method has worked so good in the past.

If you try either of these methods, let me know what you think.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM
B&C 180 Class

just make sure ya drain off the water while your storing it as it is a breeding ground for bacteria.The salt will help to preserve it too.I often quater up my deer and store in coolers on away hunts
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-02-2009, 05:16 AM
ronn

Talking hey colleen,I have t

hey colleen,I have that Jeep stlrelor and I want to confirm that it is awesome. I have flown with the kids in it at least 8 round trips and it's still hangin' in there. The cup holder is very handy for you in the airport, but make sure u take it off and put it in your backpack before you fly or they will lose it. It really is so quick to break down and light. I LOVE it. I'm so excited for you..and may be talkin at you soon with some more questions

Last edited by Marco; 04-19-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: nUSQ47IJ
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
B&C 100 Class

a lot of my friends are the same way with deer or any wild game. They call it "gamey" but to me thats the flavor of the meat. That taste is why I like venison. I do cook it in chili and spaghetti for those that doesn't like the taste. Also, mixing it in with Hamburger helper is pretty good. I think you need to sneak in some venison mixed in with some beef. Don't tell em what it is...most ppl that I have done that too fell in love with the "flavor of the meat" but before when I told em it was deer they said it was gamey....kinda had a preconceived idea about it I think
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Scrub Buck

I soak mine in plain water for about 48 hours. Make sure you keep ice on it! I'll drain the water after 24 hours and put fresh water on it. This works great for me. Poeple that have tried deer before and didnt like it because of the gamey taste have tried mine and love it. I just use plain old water.