Deer Hunting Forums banner

Gaminess??

22K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  on_the_fly 
#1 ·
The only way I can get my family to eat any venison is either chilli, spegetti or my home made jerky. Steaks or roast, forget it! Is there any way or some method to taking the "gaminess" taste out of the meat? I don't mid it, but they will have no part of it. I think we would save alot of $$ if I could get them to eat it. Any thoughts other than trying to cover it with merinade, Tried that, they still didn't eat it.

#2 ·
I love this subject. Deer tastes like deer so trying to make it taste like beef is tough to do. I cook most of my deer roast/neck meat in a pressure cooker with garlic, onions, salt, pepper, and some soy sauce. I cook it for 30 minutes de-pressurize and add veggies and bring the cooker up to steam and shut off. When done you would have a hard time knowing it was deer and tender enough to use only a fork. I do like to grille steaks and will use tenderizer for 24 hrs in the fridge prior to cooking. Again soy, garlic, bacon rapped, any comercial tenderizer. You can do the tenderizing then put into a pan on the stove brown and add gravy and slow cook. Put this over rice and the family should love it. Any deer on the grille should not be over cooked or it will be tough. Hope this helps

#3 ·
i eat so much i really dont notice it.it gets "gamey" from bad gutting/storage/handling most times.an old buck in the rut will be a little tougher i have noticed.try newbies out with the tender loins and back straps .also trim as much fat and silver skin as possible this is another source of gamey taste

G
#5 · (Edited)
Sniglet best of lu

Sniglet best of luck on the job hunt. I like the idea of the source code maeartplkce, although it is a tough problem to crack.I just posted an engineering job on craigslist in Portland yesterday afternoon. I expected a few resumes to trickle in, but instead have received almost 20 in less than a day. Of these 20, 8 are probably over-qualified, and maybe only 4 of them I wouldn't consider. They are almost all high quality (on paper). I even got a response saying that they were a recent graduate and want to work *for free* just to gain experience (and get their foot in the door, I presume).There is certainly a large pool of talented people out there at the moment. Rate this comment: 0 0

#6 ·
Here is what I do to get the gaminess out. I soon as I shoot and remove the hams and backstraps(it does work with dethawed frozen meat as well), I put them in a cooler and salt em down(a lot of salt). Next I cover the meat with ice until there is about 3 inches of ice over the meat. Once the ice melts to water(usually about 12-24 hrs), I repeat the process again. This draws a WHOLE lot of the blood out of the meat and the meat doesn't taste salty at all. You can pretty much cook it however you like at this point and it will taste great. I have only had one person turn there nose up at my venison and he said that it taste good, but he didn't like it because of the idea of eating deer. Go figure. :crazy:

My buddy soaks his meat in vinegar and ice over night and he swears it not only takes the gamey taste out but also makes the meat more tender. However I have never tried this method. One because salt is so cheap, and also because my method has worked so good in the past.

If you try either of these methods, let me know what you think.

#7 ·
just make sure ya drain off the water while your storing it as it is a breeding ground for bacteria.The salt will help to preserve it too.I often quater up my deer and store in coolers on away hunts

G
#8 · (Edited)
hey colleen,I have t

hey colleen,I have that Jeep stlrelor and I want to confirm that it is awesome. I have flown with the kids in it at least 8 round trips and it's still hangin' in there. The cup holder is very handy for you in the airport, but make sure u take it off and put it in your backpack before you fly or they will lose it. It really is so quick to break down and light. I LOVE it. I'm so excited for you..and may be talkin at you soon with some more questions

#9 ·
a lot of my friends are the same way with deer or any wild game. They call it "gamey" but to me thats the flavor of the meat. That taste is why I like venison. I do cook it in chili and spaghetti for those that doesn't like the taste. Also, mixing it in with Hamburger helper is pretty good. I think you need to sneak in some venison mixed in with some beef. Don't tell em what it is...most ppl that I have done that too fell in love with the "flavor of the meat" but before when I told em it was deer they said it was gamey....kinda had a preconceived idea about it I think

#10 ·
I soak mine in plain water for about 48 hours. Make sure you keep ice on it! I'll drain the water after 24 hours and put fresh water on it. This works great for me. Poeple that have tried deer before and didnt like it because of the gamey taste have tried mine and love it. I just use plain old water.

#14 ·
We can alot of deer meat using beef boulion, salt, pepper, and a slice of onion in each jar. The whole family loves it. Even the ones that swear they wont eat deer meat.
I use it for anything like beef and noodles, shredded and cooked with your favorite BBQ sauce, or just heat it up in the micrwave. I like it best the latter.
Oh Yeah, or shredded up in gravy over biscuts or potatos.
No gamieness at all.

Scott

#16 ·
I soak all of the prepaired (trimmed of fat and membrane backstraps/roasts/steaks in salt water (heavy salt) let it sit for 10-15 minutes.... rinse, drain and repeat. Keep the water cold, and repeat until the water is not bloody. I also have stripped the steaks/backstraps thin, put it through the salt water rinse, and then cook it in sauted onions, garlic, and your spice of choice. I use the strips in stir fry, philly steak sandwiches... or with a light BBQ sause! It is my standby procedure for outstanding meals. I will try and post a few recipies soon.

#17 ·
I usually don't do anything with mine anymore but have used 1/4 cup of vinegar in ice water. set in frig or cooler overnite. this draws a lot of the blood out of the meat. You can also wash the meat in cold water and squeeze a lot of blood out but I think the more you do to it the more likely it will be tough. I like to get my tenderloin almost froze before cutting it and it's a lot easier than chasing that raw meat around on the cutting board. You can cook vension like you do beef........don't overcook it or it will get dry and tough. My wife can fix it so that anyone will eat it.......I've had people that have eaten wild game all their life and didn't know it was deer meat they were eating.

#24 ·
Try smoking those big roasts

I bought some "sweet and smoky" rub at WalMart and rubbed it on a 8 pound elk roast, put it in a plastic bag and placed in refrigerator overnight.

Smoked it in the smoker 225 degrees for about 12 hours, squirt with apple juice about ever 1-2 hours. YUM. Nice and tender and tasty. If there are any leftovers they make the most delicious chili. ( a big if as there is usually none left.

#25 ·
Venison does have its own flavor which I enjoy. however, I have had an experience where someone made an Italian beef using a venison roast. there was a distinct gamey taste. I dont know if it was the result of the deers age, feeding habits or the care of the meat after harvest. it was rather unpleasant considering it cooked for several hours in a couple of jars of peppercinni.

#26 ·
The main cause of gamy meat is the way it is handled. Field dressing is so important and getting the hide off quickly is extremely important. The next cause of gamy meat is not getting all of the fat(tallow) out of the meat. I process all my meat at home and everyone that has tried my venison has remarked that it is not gamy at all. A couple of years ago, my boyfriend's boss got an elk and he gave us a couple of steaks. His processor had not trimmed all the fat off and the result was nasty. It tainted the meat something awful. Most hunters we know let the deer hang with the hides on for a few days and then they complain that it is gamy, they also do not gut the deer until they get it home. To each his own , but don't complain about it.

G
#27 ·
try a bull moose during the rut. you can have it skinned, cut up, deboned, trimmed of all fat and silver skin, before it hits the ground and it will still be gamy. now take that same cut of meat and soak it in baking soda and water for a few hours in the frig, rise, garlic salt and pepper, lightly oil, put it on a grill, yummy yummy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.