Gaminess?? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Wild Game Recipes
Wild Game Recipes Share your home-made wildlife recipes!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
B&C 100 Class

soaked some cubed steaks in buttermilk overnight, and then chicken fried them, my son who won't eat anything that he "never had" walked into the kitchen and yelled "I like that!, Even if I never had that!"

There was no Gamey tast, but it was still venison. good stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM
B&C 140 Class

i like the venison taste. sometimes recipes do hide it. but my family enjoys it just about every way i cook it. (they don't have a choice,, have 7 to eat this year) lol
Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 AM
B&C 100 Class

I soak my steaks and Cubed steaks over night in buttermilk. I add chopped bacon to my venison hamburgers or add bacon grease to the pan when cooking them.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Try smoking those big roasts

I bought some "sweet and smoky" rub at WalMart and rubbed it on a 8 pound elk roast, put it in a plastic bag and placed in refrigerator overnight.

Smoked it in the smoker 225 degrees for about 12 hours, squirt with apple juice about ever 1-2 hours. YUM. Nice and tender and tasty. If there are any leftovers they make the most delicious chili. ( a big if as there is usually none left.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

Venison does have its own flavor which I enjoy. however, I have had an experience where someone made an Italian beef using a venison roast. there was a distinct gamey taste. I dont know if it was the result of the deers age, feeding habits or the care of the meat after harvest. it was rather unpleasant considering it cooked for several hours in a couple of jars of peppercinni.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

The main cause of gamy meat is the way it is handled. Field dressing is so important and getting the hide off quickly is extremely important. The next cause of gamy meat is not getting all of the fat(tallow) out of the meat. I process all my meat at home and everyone that has tried my venison has remarked that it is not gamy at all. A couple of years ago, my boyfriend's boss got an elk and he gave us a couple of steaks. His processor had not trimmed all the fat off and the result was nasty. It tainted the meat something awful. Most hunters we know let the deer hang with the hides on for a few days and then they complain that it is gamy, they also do not gut the deer until they get it home. To each his own , but don't complain about it.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:06 PM
ronn

try a bull moose during the rut. you can have it skinned, cut up, deboned, trimmed of all fat and silver skin, before it hits the ground and it will still be gamy. now take that same cut of meat and soak it in baking soda and water for a few hours in the frig, rise, garlic salt and pepper, lightly oil, put it on a grill, yummy yummy.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Not to disagree because everyone's different, but I prefer to hang the deer with the hide on normally for 3-5 days at camp as long as temp is good. Then I hang the carcass with the hide off for another 4-5 days at home if temperature allows. You can also age it in a fridge at about 38-42*. I've never had gammy tasting deer whether it was Michigan, Ohio or PA. Poor handling, too hot of outside temperatures probably contribute to poor meat more than anything else.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:17 PM
B&C 160 Class

when you can do it your aging the meat just like a steakhouse.the enzymes start breaking down making the meat more tender.ive soaked cuts in milk the night before really cleans the cuts up nice
Old 08-21-2010, 07:26 PM
ronn

i use to do all my own cutting. now i just take to the place tell them no bone, no silver skin, if you can't make a steak out of it turn it to burger with 5% pork fat and 5% beef fat. i don't even hang them. its from the check-in station, to the shop. they hang it for a day or two while they are cutting others.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote