jerky recipes - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Wild Game Recipes
Wild Game Recipes Share your home-made wildlife recipes!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:30 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default jerky recipes

i've got some venison id like to make into jerky but i dont have a dehydrator anybody got some suggestions and recipes
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2007, 03:41 PM

check out the "no brainer jerky" thread. i tried this just to see how well it worked. it did work but it was not the best jerky ive ever had.

the thread titled "deer marinade" was one of the best jerkies ive ever ate. i work with the guy that posted it and i tried his. i think he cooked it in the oven but im not completely for sure on that.

i should have tried the box fan style of cooking drying the meat with the "deer marinade" flavor. it probably would have turned out better.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 PM
B&C 180 Class

will do but i dont have a dhydrator. i hear you can use the oven i read it in turkey jerky
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM

the oven works just fine. most hunters use the oven over the dehryator due to the same circumstance your in. they dont have one.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:26 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default venison definitely makes the best jerky...

the leaner the meat, the better. The ground beef/jerky-gun isn't bad. I've done some jerky using beef from home-grown cows, but it's still not as lean as venison.

No-dehydrator Jerky:
A friend from AL cuts his venison in thin strips, places it in his marinade of choice for a few hours in the fridge, then lays it out on a cookie sheet in the oven on low heat. I think you need the temp around 155 to 160 deg. 3-5 hours later (depending on the thickness of the jerky strips) you got yerself some all natural jerky. If your worried about bacteria, it helps to sprinkle a little salt over the outside of the jerky. I don't think Lee worries much about bacteria ... claims AL guys have such good immune systems from all the other crap they eat.

The stuff would keep for weeks in the refridgerator, but between me and the girls it never lasts that long.

Last edited by traindriver; 04-13-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:06 AM
B&C 180 Class

THANKS GUYS
Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up

Hi Friend,

You can use your oven, to make jerky. Just keep the temperature low and check the jerky every hour at first, then as the jerky is getting close to the texture that you want, check it more often untill its just the way that you want it.

As far as the recipies go, just google it, you will find some good recipies. Also the longer you leave the strips in the marinade the more tastier they will be. I usually leave mine in over night.

You may want to try each recipie with beef first, just in case you don't like the flavor. You don't want to waste venison on a bad recipie.

Hope this helps.

AJHunter
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel the signman View Post
i've got some venison id like to make into jerky but i dont have a dehydrator anybody got some suggestions and recipes

Sorry, just saw this.... we make jerky hanging the strips on skewers from oven rack for about 6-10 hours, depending on the thickness of the meat.... at about 150 degrees. Leave the oven door slightly ajar to allow for moisture to escape. Put foil under to catch drippings.

We make it all the time with venison and lean steaks ie: london broil.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:48 PM
B&C 180 Class

lots of good stuff in there ,thanks