Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Turkey Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/turkey-hunting/)
-   -   Break in the rain (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/turkey-hunting/7646-break-rain.html)

on_the_fly 04-28-2011 10:19 AM

Break in the rain

Well we have had nothing but rain for a week now and today is the first day of no rain so I told my 12 year old I was going to take him hunting this morning and he could just miss the first few hours of school since he's been doing great in school anyways. So we get set up just before daybrake (5:40 am ct) didn't hear anything till the sun hit the field the a long beard and two jakes come straight to us. The long beard stayed about 20 yards behind the jakes. Well he was hunting with a single shot break over 20ga, so 20 yards is bout max for that gun. Both jakes come straight in to decoys and the Tom stayed back a fuz.( I could have easily harvested the Tom with my 12 but I am tagged out and didn't even take my gun) well he took one of the two jakes. This is his first male spring bird, and this past fall season he harvested his first hen. So he is two for two. The Jake had a 4" beard, and 1/4 spurs. He shot around 1/4 after 6 so by the time we got all our gear picked up n back home the school bus was infront of the house, then we breasted the bird out, bread, fan, n feet, become in an cleaned upfor school. When I went in the sign him in the kids were all going to theirfirst class so he didn't even miss school. I beat I know the first topic in every class today,caz be was still grinning ear to ear over it. ( o I do have pic's and as soon as we get the home putter fixed I'll load um up, I don't think I can load um on here from my phone)

tator 04-28-2011 11:09 AM

That's awesome man!

gfdeputy2 04-28-2011 11:44 AM

Congrats on the bird to the little Fly

timberghost 04-28-2011 01:50 PM

:goodposting: Right on fellas!!!!!! :goodposting:

deerless 04-28-2011 02:57 PM

Cool! My 15 year old nephew is headed out with his papa this weekend, turkey opened today in R.I

on_the_fly 05-07-2011 07:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok here are a few pics, we got our computer back friday. one is of our decoy set up (pic was takin from my iphone in the blind), one of him with harvest, and the third is him paking him out. (i told him you shot it you pack it, n still grining ear to ear he had no problems with it. lol)

BruceBruce1959 05-08-2011 09:22 AM

Congratulations! those grins tell the whole story... :thumbup:

buckfever 05-09-2011 01:34 AM

Very cool.. Congrats to the young man on a successful harvest.. (and the dad as well)

gfdeputy2 05-09-2011 05:22 PM

X2 Congrats My daughter is on strike 2 long story but will say it ended with no bird & a barrel wadded w/ dirt wasn't good

timberghost 05-09-2011 05:43 PM

Great pics and congrats fly. Dep, the barrel packed with dirt, was it from a tumble in the mud. Happens to the younguns with me all the time.