turkey hunting - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
B&C 180 Class

Default turkey hunting

well went out turkey hunting this morning and wasn't long after I found a good tree to sit next to that I called in 3 toms. They came from in front of me so they were in full view the entire time. They came up and decided to venture to my left away from me, I had them at about 60 yds, but just didn't want to take that shot for obvious reasons.
After I passed them up, my neighbor behind me started doing some AWESOME hen calling (THanks NEIGHBOR!) and the toms stuck around a while longer, but were now about 150 yds away. I snuck out and around the toms and decided to circle the field they were in and come up a draw on the other side of them. By that time it started down pouring on me and I got absolutely soaked. It was COLD rain too. Anyways, toms shut up and didn't make a peep after the rain picked up. After seeing an AWESOME lightening show I decided to call it a day. Still raining at this very minute, and just now starting to feel my hands again! hahaha
Haven't been turkey hunting very long, but it's definately exciting. Don't think I'm as "IN LOVE" with it as DEER though...
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM
B&C 140 Class

So close, yet so far away. You'll get one soon enough.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:32 PM
B&C 120 Class

Headed our for my first try at turkey this week...
Old 04-22-2011, 10:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

I busted one this morning, 24 lbs, 10 1/2" beard, 1" spurs, 30" fan spread. Come running to my pretty boy pretty girl decoy set up, 20 yards away shot with 3 1/2 hv load #5 shot, hunting out of my ameristep G-30 ground blind.
Tator that's some of the best time to watch n study their behavior I think, only will help you become a better more rounded hunter.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:21 PM

Sounds like a great exp for you tator. Many more to come. I'd rate turkey hunting right up there with deer hunting, heck, maybe just a little more because it's really hands on and interactive with the birds and easier to get them out of the woods.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 AM
B&C 100 Class

I very much enjoy spring turkey, watching the season change and all the activity in the woods is really fun... but I have to admit deer hunting in the fall has a very special place in my heart.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scentman View Post
I very much enjoy spring turkey, watching the season change and all the activity in the woods is really fun... but I have to admit deer hunting in the fall has a very special place in my heart.

I'm the exact same way. I don't do any turkey hunting in the fall, but when spring rolls around, I start itching to get back outdoors and hunt something. Been hunting Morell mushrooms too w/my father-in-law. Not an eater of them, but I'll hunt them for ya! haha

Seems like I spend all summer long, waiting inpatiently for deer season!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 PM

We braved the chilly down pouring rain today and came up empty handed. We located some toms on a field edge and creeped within 80 yds of them on a point in the woodline along the fields edge and put out the decoys and attempted to get them to move just a little bit over to see the decs but they just wouldn't budge enough to see them....it's not easy to get birds to move around especially when they're out in fields.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_fly View Post
I busted one this morning, 24 lbs, 10 1/2" beard, 1" spurs, 30" fan spread. Come running to my pretty boy pretty girl decoy set up, 20 yards away shot with 3 1/2 hv load #5 shot, hunting out of my ameristep G-30 ground blind.
Tator that's some of the best time to watch n study their behavior I think, only will help you become a better more rounded hunter.
Congrats on the bird.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:52 AM

[QUOTE=tator;55542]It was COLD rain too.[QUOTE]

WHAT I thought it was like 80 out there We got snow Sat. I would love an 80 degree rain I too love my deer hunting my fav. is archery season but nothing gets my heart pumping like hitting that call & hearing those gobbles back at ya

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright

Last edited by gfdeputy2; 04-25-2011 at 10:47 AM.