Deer Hunting Forums banner

turkey hunting

18K views 78 replies 10 participants last post by  jberre 
#1 ·
well went out turkey hunting this morning and wasn't long after I found a good tree to sit next to that I called in 3 toms. They came from in front of me so they were in full view the entire time. They came up and decided to venture to my left away from me, I had them at about 60 yds, but just didn't want to take that shot for obvious reasons.
After I passed them up, my neighbor behind me started doing some AWESOME hen calling (THanks NEIGHBOR!) and the toms stuck around a while longer, but were now about 150 yds away. I snuck out and around the toms and decided to circle the field they were in and come up a draw on the other side of them. By that time it started down pouring on me and I got absolutely soaked. It was COLD rain too. Anyways, toms shut up and didn't make a peep after the rain picked up. After seeing an AWESOME lightening show I decided to call it a day. Still raining at this very minute, and just now starting to feel my hands again! hahaha
Haven't been turkey hunting very long, but it's definately exciting. Don't think I'm as "IN LOVE" with it as DEER though...

#4 ·
I busted one this morning, 24 lbs, 10 1/2" beard, 1" spurs, 30" fan spread. Come running to my pretty boy pretty girl decoy set up, 20 yards away shot with 3 1/2 hv load #5 shot, hunting out of my ameristep G-30 ground blind.
Tator that's some of the best time to watch n study their behavior I think, only will help you become a better more rounded hunter.

#7 ·
I'm the exact same way. I don't do any turkey hunting in the fall, but when spring rolls around, I start itching to get back outdoors and hunt something. Been hunting Morell mushrooms too w/my father-in-law. Not an eater of them, but I'll hunt them for ya! haha

Seems like I spend all summer long, waiting inpatiently for deer season!

#8 ·
We braved the chilly down pouring rain today and came up empty handed. We located some toms on a field edge and creeped within 80 yds of them on a point in the woodline along the fields edge and put out the decoys and attempted to get them to move just a little bit over to see the decs but they just wouldn't budge enough to see them....it's not easy to get birds to move around especially when they're out in fields.

#10 · (Edited)
It was COLD rain too.
WHAT I thought it was like 80 out there We got snow Sat. I would love an 80 degree rain I too love my deer hunting my fav. is archery season but nothing gets my heart pumping like hitting that call & hearing those gobbles back at ya

#12 ·
Hey Hey Hey take it easy LOL
we are actually starting to warm up 60's most of the week
We did have snow on Sat. had 3" at my house gone yesterday

#21 ·
In north central MO we're fine! Now, south of I-70 is a different story. (I-70 runs from KC to STL across state) For the past 3 days we've had off and on again showers... nothing big though. Today it's supposed to clear up though, but still be chilly at 55degrees.

#25 ·
I started my Spring turkey season this moning before work. This was my first hunt with Killer-B (primos decoy). I had 4 Jakes come in and crowded right up on Killer-B 20 who was sitting pretty 20 yards in front of me. I was hoping a long bearded Tom would come in but not today. I didn't want Killer-B to feel bad so I shot one of them once they spread out. Killer B is now 1 for 1. hopefully I will get a picture on here soon. Had the bird cleaned and in the fridge and still made it to work for the 9 am monday morning meeting.

I woke my daughter up to tell her (3 years old) to ask her if she wanted to see the turkey. She said "No, I have my Jammies on now." I asked her again and she said, "Put it in the fridge and cut it up.!"

#28 ·
well Good luck hoping to end my season this weekend
I also should be doing a lot of other stuff then hunting but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do
& right now that is getting my daughter & myself a bird

#29 ·
well gfd, went out yesterday (friday) took the day off! Didn't see much. I'm not very patient when it comes to turkeys. I was only out for about an hour and a half. I just can't get into it like I do deer hunting. I do have to admit I have a pretty good "natural" hen call that I can make. But while hunting I use a call box. Season ends tomorrow (sunday) and I think I'm done for the season. I don't turkey hunt in the fall b/c 1. it's archery and 2. I focus on deer come Sept!
Good luck to you gfd and everyone else on the gobblers.

#30 ·
Tator do you not Bow hunt?
our Fall Turkey season runs the same as deer season for archery
Sept 15th to Dec 15th so I always keep aa arrow w/ a Turkey broadhead with me just in case

#31 ·
Same here our fall turkey is archery for the deer season set till Jan something but we also have a week of shotgun usually right after the first deer muzzle loader weekend. N can take 4 birds in the fall but only one can have over a 6" beard, n only two of the four can be harvested with a shotgun but you can take all four with a bow. We mostly target hens in the fall good eating for that years spring hatch. Good freezer food usually around 8 to 10 lbs each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.