turkey hunting - Page 8 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 AM
B&C 140 Class

Well tator did you ever get to bust a bird ? Here in ky yesterday (5-6-12) was the last day us. Now for me it's fishing all summer up till my early bow deer season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
B&C 180 Class

Nope, I sure didn't... I did have a few exciting hunts though, just no bird. The bad thing about it is on the first morning of season, I decided to NOT go out b/c it was about 40+ mph winds and I didn't know where they were roosted. Well on my way to work that same morning, I saw over 20 birds out there in the bottom I would have been sitting next to (and within shooting range) and two VERY LARGE gobblers in full strut. That's my luck. LOL

I'm not going to give up on it though. I've been really busy this spring working with my other birds- chickens. Got their coop about 75% done this past weekend and ready to get them in it this next weekend.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 AM

Sorry to hear that Tator
is your season over?
I have 2 1/2 weeks to try & get my youngest a bird she is having some bad luck getting birds in but something always seems to go wrong. Last weekend we were so close but two fawns came in to the decoys & started sniffing them & the Turkeys took off this is how her season is going so your not alone

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM
B&C 120 Class

Here in NY there seems to be a huge decrease in the Turkey population. I am making this observation from the number of gobbles in my hunting area but more importantly on the number of turkeys seen from the roads. Last spring was really wet which proabally limited last years recruiment but we also had a nonexistent winter so there should't have been as much winter loss.

Any fellow NY's have any observations of your own - this coming from chenango and broomw county.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
Sorry to hear that Tator
is your season over?
I have 2 1/2 weeks to try & get my youngest a bird she is having some bad luck getting birds in but something always seems to go wrong. Last weekend we were so close but two fawns came in to the decoys & started sniffing them & the Turkeys took off this is how her season is going so your not alone

Yeah our season ended last sunday. I'm just not a bonified turkey man yet... I have TONS of friends who tell me they love it more than deer hunting and I find that hard to believe. We'll see once I bag that first turkey ever! lol
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Well I started turkey hunting about 5 years ago & have been deer hunting since I was 16 you can do the math on that one
I have to agree to a point I think turkey hunting is a lot more exciting
but deer taste a ton better

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetohunt View Post
Here in NY there seems to be a huge decrease in the Turkey population. I am making this observation from the number of gobbles in my hunting area but more importantly on the number of turkeys seen from the roads. Last spring was really wet which proabally limited last years recruiment but we also had a nonexistent winter so there should't have been as much winter loss.

Any fellow NY's have any observations of your own - this coming from chenango and broomw county.
Having the same problem here in WNY and I heard the same about the wet spring deal. I am noticing a whole lot less activity. I too figured the mild winter would spike a turkey population.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

Over half way through the season and I still haven't found a Tom to work. Frustrating - All of my usual turkey spots are gobblefree in the morning.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Scrub Buck

We just moved to the white mountains of Arizona and there are about 5 toms that spend their time in a neighbors yard at the end of the lane. Beautiful birds, but the neighbors may be a little angry if one didn't show up for a while. I'll have to go to the mountain.

Good Luck Everyone!