turkey hunting - Page 7 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Turkey Hunting

Old 04-16-2012, 12:15 PM
B&C 140 Class

You shoulda went tator !! We had 20 mph winds all day yesterday and night and today. I went was in at 5 and started raining at 5:30 and didn't stop till around 8. Then at 8:30 the birds hit the field. I busted another Tom, he was 20lbs 9 oz, 10 1/2" beard, 7/8" spurs. Will edit pic's in to this post too after I get them to the home putter.
That finnished out my Kentucky spring turkey season ( two bird bag limit) now I'm gonna spend the rest of the season helping to put my dad and a friend on some birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bird 5.jpg (95.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg bird 2.jpg (96.5 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by on_the_fly; 04-17-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well i decided late last night that I was going out this morning. It was a beautiful, crisp 40 degree morning and was an absolute enjoyment to be out there hunting.... but no bird to brag about. They did the ol' switch-a-roo on me with their roosting spot. Heard plenty of gobbling but it was over 300 yds away... I have an over-abundance of hens right now, so the toms aren't sounding off as good as they should b/c all the hens are smothering them already.
Anyways, I had fun, and found where they are roosting now... probably will go out Thursday or Friday morning again...
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM

Tator stop playing around & just whack one already

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
B&C 180 Class

I'm trying to, believe me! We'll get 'er done!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM

Man I hope so I just don't want to hear you whining till Deer season

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 PM
B&C 180 Class

neither do i!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 AM
B&C 180 Class

Dumb question for you guys who are turkey fanatics.... I'm going out hunting in the morning, but I'm going to go try to roost them tonight to see where they're at. I have a pretty good idea.... My question is, what time of day do they typically roost? An hour before sun down? Dusk? right at dark?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
B&C 140 Class

that last hour and a half of light they will all be headed back to roost, they will be in the trees before dark. if your hunting on a roost in the afternoon you should sit till after dark to leave because they can still see you and you can compromise your set up position. if your not on a roost your safe to leave out 30 mins before dark caz most likely the birds are alreay in the roost or so close youll have no issues and in the mornings they usualy will stay in the roost till they can see great again, i go by my eyes, when i can look across a field and able to see 100 yards ok then the birds are coming down.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 AM

Well Tator whats the scoop on the longbeards?????
taking my girls out Sat. they are just starting to really get hot here

Steven Wright
Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM
B&C 180 Class

Well decided to sleep in Saturday morning (i know, I know)... then Sunday morning my wife left for a conference for 3 days so had to take care of the kids.... I will prob be going out again on Wed morning.
I went and tried to see them roost on Fri evening, but I think I got there too late. I got there about 30 min till dark. I did see what I thought was one hen, but it was over 500 yds away - BUT it was where I thought they were going to be. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.